www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pluto
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:36 am 
Site Admin

I've a customer who is having an issue with Pluto.

They have copied Pluto from their Kinetic to the VirtualRPC (it would have been better if they had installed from the original floppy).

The issue is that whenever they run Pluto it moans and asks for "ADFS::HardDisc4". My assumption is that there are some settings inside PLuto that store save/load paths for data. These need to be changed. However the user cannot seem to find where these settings are stored. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Post subject: Re: Pluto
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:26 am 

[quote="Aaron"]I've a customer who is having an issue with Pluto.

They have copied Pluto from their Kinetic to the VirtualRPC (it would have been better if they had installed from the original floppy).

The issue is that whenever they run Pluto it moans and asks for "ADFS::HardDisc4". My assumption is that there are some settings inside PLuto that store save/load paths for data. These need to be changed. However the user cannot seem to find where these settings are stored. Anyone have any ideas?

---

I'm the customer - but having lost access to email due to yet another HD fault, I've only now been able to join this Forum, so asked Aaron to enquire on my behalf.

In talking to him, he proved correct in saying 'Install from the original copy' since I thus gained rudimentary email but at the price of losing access to all previous emails. But in setting up Pluto again from scratch, it gave a clue as to what the "HardDisc4 not found" error referred to. Pluto was actually wanting to know where NetFetch (i.e. Hermes and Newshound) was located. This less-than-helpful error message was compounded by the fact that when I later 'dropped' NetFetch in the setup window of Pluto, nothing appeared to have changed since the path wasn't shown.

I've subsequently discovered that it does in fact reset Pluto, and I now have all my email back as before, but on VRPC-SA instead of the Kinetic. Whew!

The only downside is that I've still got to find out how to set something (Pluto? NetFetch?) to stop the avalanche of News matter. And I can't get advice from the NewsGroups because I'd be overwhelmed in the process . .

It does mean that I can now move over completely to VRPC as the successor to the Kinetic, the SARPC, the Archimedes, the Master, the BBC-B.

Nice to join the Forum - already as a Guest I'd found from here the solution to a doddery pointer whenever I even approached a Browser button (e.g. looking at the on-screen Manual). Thanks.

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:06 am 

I realise this answer comes far to late for the original questioner but I have only just started to get into VA seriously and I have been wrestling with the same problem. I hope my answer may help someone else

The email/news transports download into a directory or directories and Pluto needs to know where these are. When you first initialise Pluto you tell it what transports you are using and it goes off and find those directories and it then writes the path into its config file. It subsequently uses that information to access the download.

You need to get it to forget those paths.

Load Pluto, cancelling any error messages, and Menu>preferences> news/mail.
Select "none" in News and mail transports, OK then quit. At this point I shutdown and restarted VA though I don't know if it is neccessry.

Run your fetchers, in my case Popstar and Newshound, then run Pluto again and go back in and selct your news and mail transports. It will then go off and find the correct place for the directories and re-write its config file.

Note that PopStar requires SockWatch which can be found in !Boot.Resources.!System.310.Modules.Network - copy across from your other computer and re-start VA so that it sees it before running PopStar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:31 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the solution, It will certainly help anyone who wants to use Pluto.