www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DigitalCD
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:40 pm 

Anyone tried much with DigitalCD on VRPC-SE?

I don't get a squeak out of its default MP3 player. Configuring it to use AMplayer works, but I get quite a few pops out of it. The pops might be the emulator being too slow on this machine (I'll give RComp a big scowl if it is, although it usually seems as fast as my RiscPC). I could try underclocking the real StrongARM and playing something to see what happens.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: DigitalCD
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:38 am 
Site Admin

Does the copy of AMPlayer supplied with VRPC-SE (In the sound directory) also pop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:16 am 

As far as I know it's using the same AMPlayer module, and I get the same results from the AMPlayer module that came with VRPC (the AFAIK is because I've copied a lot of stuff over from my RiscPC, so can't be 100% sure what came from what in some cases). I think (without being 100% certain, again) that it did this before I started copying stuff.

How much it pops seems to be a little variable, and I've not got anything else much running on either the VRPC side or Windows. Also, crackle might be a better word than pops in some cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:28 am 
Site Admin

I don't know what spec of machine you have but all mine are OK, even the 933Mhz laptop we had at RISC OS Southwest was playing MP3s whilst being used as a demo machine. Try re-installing VRPC-SE to another
directory and checking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:13 am 

The reinstall made no difference. The machine is a 1.4GHz Celeron laptop. It suffers from the sound lockup anyway, and I wonder if it may be related (although oddly enough if this doesn't happen at once when DigitalCD is running it doesn't seem to happen at all).

I suppose I'd best wait until a fix for that has been issued, and see what happens then. My normal experience is that on processor power alone it's a bit slower than an SA, although I would've thought still fast enough, and on most things the increased disc and memory speed more than makes up.

Post subject: Carrying on this thread after ages...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:38 am 

I'd completely forgotten about this, but the popping was fixed in the May update.

I still can't get anything out of Digital CD's default player, though, when playing MP3s, and with Ogg it gives an awful racket.

Post subject: No sound on DCD
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:59 am 

I have to agree with you there Simon, I don't get anything out of Digital CD when playing MP3s either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:20 pm 

I was told why this was ages ago, but I can't remember seeing the answer posted anywhere.
If you set up DigitalCD to use Amplay for MP3s then they will play properly. Using its own player (which you have to for Ogg) doesn't work because it uses long multiply instructions that were introduced with the StrongARM, but VA emulates an ARM 710 (albeit much faster than any real ARM 710s). So the emulated processor gets an instruction that means nothing to it, and it doesn't work.
DigitalCD was probably written like this because it was only things StrongARM speed upwards that were fast enough to play in real time, until VA came along and muddied the waters :-)