www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing from Floppy discs on laptop without floppy drive
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:51 pm 

Hi
I have photodesk V3 on floppy disks and cannot get a CD with the same on as Chris Hornby has disappeared from the world and refuses to reply to any emails. The new distributors do not have a non 32bit version of photodesk they can send me so they are not much use.
Problem is, how can I install from floppy disks when the laptop I have does not have a floppy drive.
I can put an external floppy drive on it but Virtual acorn does not supply a driver to read acorn format on external floppy drives.
Does anyone ahave any solutions.
Peter Foster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

A 32bit version of PhotoDesk will run on VirtualAcorn. The other option, apart from buying a new CD, are to network up the laptop and a real RISC OS machine and share the floppy drive on the real machine using ShareFS.
To do this check the machines are connected and that ShareFS is working (consult the VirtualAcorn manual for setting up networking) then on the real machine press F12 and type
*SHARE ADFS::0.$ Floppy
Press return twice and the share should then show up on VRPC, clicking on it will open the floppy on VRPC, even though the disc is in reality in another machine.

Post subject: Anyone know anyone in Bucharest with a RiscPC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:20 pm 

thanks Aaron. the only problem is that I am in Bucharest and I do not know anyone with a RiscPC in Bucharest - does anyone know anyone in Bucharest who has or had a RPC that might have an ethernet card on it ?
Peter