www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Running Datapower2 on VA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:19 pm 

If anyone has been able to run Datapower2 on VirtualAcorn I would be most grateful if they could give me a clue how to go about it. I have the software transferred over to the PC but I think there must be some software protection stopping me from running the program.

colinharmon@tiscali.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:04 pm 

DataPower2 is, indeed, copy protected. Simply copying the installed files from one disc to another (or even from one folder to another on the same disc) will usually not result in a working application. DP2 needs to be properly installed from the original discs into it's working folder and then updated with downloads from the Iota web site. Iota Software's copy protection is extremely robust.

Until VA5000 can read native Acorn floppy discs, and one has an original set of installation discs with a valid licence key, I fear that getting DP2 to run on VA5000 is not viable. Client-server versions of DP2 as supplied for network use require a working network stack on the Acorn computer and, usually, a DP2 service installed on a server on the network to validate the use of the copy of DP2.

There is an excellent Windows (and an MacOS) version of DP2 available (or was available) from Iota, and now, I believe, there is Viewpoint from Longman which is a re-packaged DP2. Datafiles are interchangeable between all versions. It means buying the product again but it will enable you to use your existing datafiles on a PC....

Sorry to have to be so negative...

Post subject: DataPower2 on VA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:48 pm 

DataPower2 has been taken over by R-Comp and they have remove the protection. I have just loaded it and it seems to be OK. I think I paid ??25 for the upgrade, worth it as they are planning further work on it. www.rcomp.co.uk

Hope this makes you :D
Colin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:05 am 

The copy protection was removed by Iota (the original developers) several years ago - just download the latest Iota upgrade and you'll be fine (2.19, IIRC).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Brian Gillinder wrote:
Until VA5000 can read native Acorn floppy discs, and one has an original set of installation discs with a valid licence key, I fear that getting DP2 to run on VA5000 is not viable.

Eh? VirtualA5000 has been able to read Acorn format floppy
discs on Win2000 and XP for almost a year now.