www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Photodesk and Impression Publisher
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:45 pm 

By getting a share set up giving me access to the SA RPC 4.02 's hard drive I can now run Impression Publisher on VRPC on my iBook. No matter how I transfered the software I was unable to get it to run locally on the VRPC. This requires both machines to be running to work but at least it works.
I've also tried this with Photodesk but it still complains of a copyright violation.
Any further ideas are very welcome - please
Dave Lawson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:35 am 

I have had no issues with Impression !Publisher (V 4.09)
It just worked (VirtualRPC-SE on Windows XP Pro)
I assume you have no got one of the original versions of !Publisher that needs a hardware dongle.
If Photodesk one of the protected applications which needs to be run from an ADFS disc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:07 pm 

Sandgrounder wrote:

I assume you have no got one of the original versions of !Publisher that needs a hardware dongle.

If Photodesk one of the protected applications which needs to be run from an ADFS disc?

Both of my packages originate from floppy disc rather than CDrom so I can't reinstall as such. My original version of Impression did have a dongle but an upgrade got rid of that. Now using 4.11
Is there a way of seeing the disc drive from the VRPC, all I can achieve is a share of a particular floppy. If I could I can try to install from there.
Dave

Post subject: Photodesk and Impression Publisher - Update
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:46 pm 

DaveL wrote:
Sandgrounder wrote:

Both of my packages originate from floppy disc rather than CDrom so I can't reinstall as such. My original version of Impression did have a dongle but an upgrade got rid of that. Now using 4.11

Is there a way of seeing the disc drive from the VRPC, all I can achieve is a share of a particular floppy. If I could I can try to install from there.

Further to my last posting, Impression Publisher is now working, apparently, but I don't know why. I did think it was the result of a reboot but I'm not convinced.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:55 pm 

An explanation of the Publisher problem is that, even if you copy the main application across from the RiscPC to VirtualRPC, it probably won't work unless you also copy across the necessary resources; specifically the modules located in the Computer Concepts "!CCShared" folder in !System.
So the suggested procedure is to open the !Boot.Resources.!System.!CCShared.RMStore folder in the RiscPC, and the same folder in VirtualRPC.
Then copy across any 'missing' modules from one to the other - one at a time - and re-boot VirtualRPC each time. At some point, Publisher should start working OK.
Do make a note of which modules you copy so that if you hit new problems, you can remove them again.
HTH, Mike Nicholl
pp T.O.M.S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

In order for Publisher to work on a VRPC (or indeed a "real" machine), the !System folder needs to contain:
!CCShared
CMYKpal
If either of these are missing/incomplete then the application will not work. They can normally be copied (with care) from a machine that Publisher is already installed on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:21 pm 

T.O.M.S. wrote:
An explanation of the Publisher problem is that, even if you copy the main application across from the RiscPC to VirtualRPC, it probably won't work unless you also copy across the necessary resources; specifically the modules located in the Computer Concepts "!CCShared" folder in !System.

So the suggested procedure is to open the !Boot.Resources.!System.!CCShared.RMStore folder in the RiscPC, and the same folder in VirtualRPC.

Then copy across any 'missing' modules from one to the other - one at a time - and re-boot VirtualRPC each time. At some point, Publisher should start working OK.

Do make a note of which modules you copy so that if you hit new problems, you can remove them again.

HTH, Mike Nicholl
pp T.O.M.S.

Yes, I did all that and it still failed to work. As this appeared to be the situation over a few days I thought there would be some other factor involved but on trying again, it all worked.Whether it had anything to do with running Publisher via a share I set up with the real RPC in the meantime I don't know but it ran happily from there. That may have sorted out some other file such as Choices. I don't know.
I am still getting "copyright violation" from Photodesk. Who is doing it now, Is it still Spacetec? I feel I have seen a report that its gone to someone else. I must investigate that further.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

I believe (but I could be wrong) that Photodesk is now handled by CJE Micros.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:39 pm 

Aaron wrote:
I believe (but I could be wrong) that Photodesk is now handled by CJE Micros.

Correct!
I've ordered an upgrade CD from them which they say will work OK on VRPC, another thread has also said the same thing, so all should be well soon, I hope.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:57 am 

To update my last posting, I have received the upgrade and it installs OK.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent news - so the answer (with PhotoDesk) is to make sure that the user has an up to date version. Thanks for letting everyone know.