www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Impression - hidden graphics
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:09 pm 

Running !Impress, documents containing graphics have them hidden. The graphic objects ARE there, because they can be dragged into another application. However, the Hide/Show All Graphics function isn't working. It's happening for all documents, which work quite happily on another system and on native RISCOS. It's as though there is a "secret" Hide Graphics master switch in Impression. The main problem for me is that hidden graphics don't get printed.

Any clues?
Tony

Post subject: Re: Impression - hidden graphics
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:08 pm 

This is a /very/ long shot but ISTR someone having a similar problem with Artworks some years ago. I think the answer was that a 'shared' graphics-support module in !Boot.Resources.!System.!CCShared.RMStore was either missing or badly out of date. I don't recall which one.

But if you have Imp running on another machine, how about checking that the modules in !CCShared match up (name and version).

And/or copy Impression /and/ !CCShared across from t'other machine.

And/or - if you have Artworks - check if you get the same problem with that (again a shared module thing).

Does it happen for all graphics types, or is it limited to (e.g.) JPEGs?

Running out of ideas but something there may give a clue.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

You haven't said what these graphics are? Draw, Sprite, ArtWorks etc?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:34 pm 

Hi,
Thanks for the responses.

T.O.M.S - Neither the erroneous nor the working system has !CCShared.

(Impress WAS copied from the working system.)

Aaron - I load Impress, create a frame, and drop either a BMP or a Sprite into the frame. The result is a small square box in the centre of the frame, with similar boxes at 45?? and 135?? to it connected by lines. (I think that these are used to move the object within the frame? )
When the frame was created, saving the file generated a 6K object. Dropping a 34K Sprite into the frame and re-saving, altered the object size to 40K. Thus, the graphic IS being added to the document, it is merely (!) the display that is not taking place.

I'm a newcomer to Impress, so apologise if I haven't made it clear what I am doing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:41 pm 

If there isn't a !CCShared folder on the 'working' system either, then IMHO that is very likely to be at the root of the problem.

It is quite possible that the required module(s) (or later versions) just happen to have been installed somewhere else on the other system (e.g. in !System.310), perhaps by another application, but not in your VirtualRPC installation. I think that could explain the symptoms which you and others have had. ISTR that, with some versions of Impression, it doesn't necessarily complain if it can't find particular modules, it just doesn't work.

Can I suggest you take a more rigorous approach. That is, re-install Impression from the master discs onto a 'real' machine which will install the necessary modules in the !CCShared folder. Re-check that it works OK.

Then copy the Impression directory /and/ the (newly-installed) !CCShared folder across to VirtualRPC and try again.

It might also help to know what version of Impression/Publisher etc you are using.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Generally I would agree with TOMS - their advice to re-install Impression seems sound.

What format is the sprite you are dropping in? What mode was it created in?
If you take a screenshot using !Paint can you drop this into a frame OK?
Are you using ImageFS?