www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Saloon Cars Deluxe
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:27 pm 

Hello

I have recently bought VirtualAcorn 1.4 - and think its great - all the good memories are floodng back!!

I raked in our loft and found the box containing the games we had - Apocolypse, Zarch, Lotus Turbo Challenge and Saloon Cars Deluxe.

I made three seperate disk images of the three discs from Saloon Cars Deluxe and installed them. Everything went smoothly with the installation.

However, when I try and load the game - it asks for the original disk 1 (so I loaded the first disc like before). But it simply crashes after this point.

Can anyone help me and secondly, am I allowed (by law) to create the image files ? (if not, i'll delete). :(

Regards and many thanks

ArchMan

Post subject: Saloon Cars Deluxe
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:32 pm 

Ahhhh.... Saloon Cars. Those were the days. I still remember having to return my copy back to the DataStore in Bromley due to a dodgy disk. Anyway, I digress. As to your query, I've got a feeling that you'll find that your problem is the result of the 4th Dimension's propietry copy protection that was employed on their disks.

Disclaimer: I may well be wrong here. I'm just going off a vague memory I have of trying to make a back-up of my Saloon Cars disks 10+ years ago.

One question from me though. Why are you making images of the disks anyway ? I don't have v1.4 of VA5000, but I thought it now supported direct Acorn format floppy and CD access. If thats the case, I'm a little unsure as to the reason for the images. Does the game not install and run as though it would natively on an acorn system ?

Cheers,

Andr??

Post subject: Saloon Cars Deluxe UPDATE
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:42 pm 

Just been checking out other posts in the forum, and it seems I was right. Apparently the copy protection scheme used by 4th Dimension products has 'issues' with VA5000.

Back to the drawing-board I'm afraid.

Andr??