www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Various...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:27 pm 

Hi All,
Well, I've been using VRPC Adjust for a couple of weeks now (and very nice it is too :-)) and I've collected together a few questions/comments/requests. Some may be specific to Adjust rather than VRPC, but I'm not sure, so here they are...
o How do you get rid of the "Discs" icon on the icon bar? I don't have a network, so it's just cluttering up my screen.
o Why doesn't my "Print" key work any more?
o Does anyone know how to get the scroll wheel on my mouse to scroll windows? (This is a step backwards for me as it worked well on my RPC)
o Could we have an option to have Alt-Enter switching between minimised and full screen?
o What's a safe way to exchange files between RISC OS and Windows? Can you just meddle in HardDisc4 from Windows without a problem?
o When I try to use the Install option in the boot section of Configure I get the error: "Filing System or path BootMerge: not present"
o Does anyone get frequent hangs (once the screen's gone black) when choosing Restart from the shutdown menu in RISC OS?
o Sometimes my email can be fetched on the host computer, but not on RISC OS ("no connection" - so not an email client issue)
o Is the problem in the image (it's a filer window with some apps in it) below with VRPC or Adjust? The mess stays there after F12-return and after closing the window and opening it again.
Any ideas anyone?
Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:07 am 

Aw, come on. Has nobody got any thoughts about anything :( What have I done wrong? What about the Print key - is that the same for everyone? How to exchange files been host & emulatior? BootMerge - am I the only one who's encountered this? What about the picture - is that a VRPC problem?
I'd really appreciate some comments :)
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:44 pm 

Well I think I can answer some of it...
Discs ICON. I think is same for all versions of RISC OS. Double click on !Boot. In the Configuration window which comes up, click on Network. In Network configuration that comes up click on on Access. In Acorn Access window that comes up Untick 'Enable Access' and click Set. Then Click Save. You might then need to reboot and when it comes back, the offending Icon should have gone.
I copy files to HardDisc4 via Windows all the time, but I generally quit VRPC first. Not sure if that's absolutely necessary. Also a good idea to zip the files first, otherwise windows will destroy the filetype info and you may have to re-filetype them in VRPC.
Sorry dunno about other stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:20 pm 

Hi John, thanks for the reply :)
I don't have an "Access" option in Configure>Network. There is a "ShareFS" option which, when unticked, removes the "Discs" icon - but it just comes back when I reset RISC OS :(
Also, since you're here... does the "Print" key work for you? For instance in !Draw it should open the Print dialogue box.
Moving on...
Further to my comment about lack of internet connectivity - this seems to happen if there is no internet connection on the host coputer when I start up VRPC. Even if a connection is subsequently made on the host PC, VRCP can't ever see it. I wonder if Virtual Acorn could comment on whether this is to be expected?
Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:17 pm 

I use VA5000 so I'm not sure if it's the same for VRPC, but the print key doesn't work in any of the applications I use (Impression, Artworks etc) - no big deal really as it's still better than trying to do anything complicated with Office...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:13 am 
Site Admin

Sorry for not replying sooner but this didn't come up as a new thread :oops:
Anyway dealing with some of the points.
The Discs icon is ShareFS/Access turn it off from inside !Boot.
The Print key is a reserved key and we can't find a way of trapping it.
Scroll wheels aren't curently supported.
I will add ALT Enter switching to the suggestions list.
You can meddle in HardDisc4 from Windows if you know what you are doing.
I haven't seen the Install error before.
Instead of using Restart try using Power Cycle.
You might need to ask the author of the e-mail client.
As for the filer image, heaven knows, it looks like a RISC OS fault, but without knowing the filer settings I don't know.

Post subject: Moving files Windows/VRPC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:13 am 
On the A6+ (VRPC Adjust) I use the Public folder, which is common to both systems. Especially with jpegs, this is great, as long as you add /jpg to the raw name when moving a file to Windows. Even /txt files work like this, to and from Zap and Notepad. Using Easiwrite on VRPC, save a document as /rft, and it transfers across to Wordpad fine; and no doubt would go with Word similarly. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:58 pm 

Aaron wrote:
this didn't come up as a new thread
Huh - guess there is something to my comment in the "Unrelated Corner" then ;)
Quote:
Yes, done that, but bizaarely the option is not remembered over resets - the discs icon comes back and the option becomes ticked again in Configure, all by itself!
Quote:
You might need to ask the author of the e-mail client.
It's the whole internet connection, not just email. It happens if I start up VRPC when the host PC does not have an active connection. If the PC subsequently gets a connection, VRPC remains internet-less. Maybe this is what is expected?
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:02 pm 

adamr wrote:
Aaron wrote:
Yes, done that, but bizaarely the option is not remembered over resets - the discs icon comes back and the option becomes ticked again in Configure, all by itself!

Does anyone know where this information is stored - is it in the CMOS? If so, presumably that points to some problem with VA.
Adam

Post subject: Re: Various...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:05 pm 

Just in case anyone is still wondering about this....

I had the same problem. On my VRPC-Adjust install it turns out that there is an Obey file in !Boot.Choices.Default.Boot.PreDesk called ShareFS with the single line 'RMReinit ShareFS'. As a result, turning ShareFS off has no lasting effect.

Either comment out the line or delete the file and that will resolve the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:18 am 
Site Admin

It's so long ago that I had forgotten about that being included in the builds. I suggest just commetning out the line (rather than deleting the file). This is because without this being present ShareFS won't work on VirtualRPC.

This is because ShareFS needs to be started after the network, but on VRPC it ends up being started before all the network settings are applied. This file "resets" ShareFS so that it will work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:29 pm 

In that case something like the following in the Obey file would probably solve the issue in the general case:

Set ShareFS$Present 1
RMEnsure ShareFS 0.00 Set ShareFS$Present 0
IF ShareFS$Present = 1 Then RMReinit ShareFS
Unset ShareFS$Present