www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Screen Blanking & CMOS
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:14 pm 

Hi,
- When I'm using VRPC (full-screen mode) the screen flashes completely black every so often.
- VRPC seems to have trouble remembering my CMOS settings - for instance for the purposes of experimentation I used the "lock" facility in Configure a while ago. Now I can unlock it, but RISC OS doesn't remember that it's unlocked. (This is a similar symptom to the ShareFS setting I mentioned in another thread.)
Has anyone else experienced either of these problem or found a solution?
Thanks a lot,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:55 am 

Yes, just since activating ShareFS, I've noticed the screen going blank for a second or so very occasionally - only when I've not been working on the VRPC at the time, and only when there sees to be a lot of hard-disc activity going on.
HTH
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

The screen flashing black might be a Windows screen saver. I don't know about the CMOS problem - unless the CMOS file has "Archive" or "Read-Only" flags set in Windows. The CMOS file is stored in:
C:\Program Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-Adjust\Models\Arm7 RISC OS Adjust (jit)\CMOS.RAM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:47 pm 

I too have encountered the screen blanking problem (just over the last few weeks), though this is on VA A5000. It only seems to occur when I have an application open - or, at least, I have not noticed it happening when the desktop is empty.
I have not made any changes to my settings for either Windows or VA for some months, so it cannot be that. However, I do regularly download all updates for Windows. As the "problem" first arose arround the time of the last such updates, I wonder if there is some connection?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:11 pm 

Aaron wrote:
The screen flashing black might be a Windows screen saver.

The Windows screensaver is off. (That is, it's set to "none") A couple of other people have mentioned it only started recently - that seems to be the case here, although since it's only an occasional problem, it's hard to tell.

When it does happen, I'm pretty sure that holding the mouse still and not touching the keyboard will keep the screen blank. However, this is hard to check, as since it happens during normal use, I don't had quick enough reaction to make sure I don't stop whatever I'm doing at the time!

Quote:
I don't know about the CMOS problem - unless the CMOS file has "Archive" or "Read-Only" flags set in Windows. The CMOS file is stored in:

C:\Program Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-Adjust\Models\Arm7 RISC OS Adjust (jit)\CMOS.RAM

It's not read-only or archive. (Though it is recognised as a "realplayer presentation".
Thanks,
Adam