www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: atapicd.dll not working on WinXP x64
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:15 am 

Hi!
I have just tried Virtual RiscPC Adjust on WindowsXP Professional x64 Edition. It seems to work (starts up) if I remove atapicd.dll from the plugins directory and delete the CDDrive section in the model.cfg file. Presumably atapicd.dll is not 64bit-compatible?
Also, if running on a multi processor system, you have to manually set the CPU frequency setting. Simply multiply the value that the auto detection of VRPC found with the number of CPUs installed in your system. If this is the case with dual-core CPUs as well, I don't know. You notice when the setting is wrong, because the mouse pointer gets very sluggish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:02 pm 

by default atapicd communicates with the cd drive using the standard ioctl interface provided by the microsoft drivers. This should work but I guess there may be some alignment issues with 64bit windows. I don't have a system to try this on.
If you have ASPI software installed (e.g. nero comes with aspi support), add UseASPI=1 to the CDDrive section and see if that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:03 pm 

Yes, enabling ASPI solved the problem. :-)
Tanks!