www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Norton Internet Security problem.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:59 pm 

Hello there,
I recently upgraded my Norton Internet Security to 2006. Now I know that this software has been known to cause problems with Virtual RPC Adjust. However, having used 2004 for over a year without any problems, I would like to know why after upgrading to 2006, Virtual RPC Adjust now seems to be running slower, particularly when using a image backdrop on the RISCOS side, which before did not cause any problems.
As I said, I know that Norton is an issue, and while I could revert to 2004, having paid for my upgrade and subscription, I would like to know why this is suddenly happening and if possible, apart from removing Norton, what I need to do to solve it.
Can anyone help?
:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know what's in the latest Norton release (I refuse to use it). But it might contain a spyware tool. This might be checking each and every file for potential spyware and slowing the whole thing down. Try playing with the Norton settings to see if turning off any particular function helps.
If not then I would strongly suggest dumping Norton and getting:
AVG Anti Virus (free)
ZoneAlarm (free)
AdAware (free)
SpyBot (free)

Post subject: Problem solved
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:32 pm 

Hi Aaron,
I solved the problem and you know what, it wasn't Norton. I uninstalled Norton and found I was using a PNG file for my backdrop, replacing this with a JPEG version instantly cured the slowdown problem, daft ay?
I have however, started thinking about moving from Norton Internet Security, particularly when I heard that AVG's updates are are much faster. I currently use AdAware anyway, haven't tried Spybot though.
Thanks for the advice..