www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: OS_FileV and iSV
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:39 am 

Hi,
I've come across a bug present in the default disc image of my VRPC. Please see this thread for details.
Can I just delete the iSV patch? What is it there for?
Thanks,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:58 am 
Site Admin

iSV Patch is designed to get older iSV Software working on RISC OS 4. A lot of the old iSV stuff conatains a right nasty bit of code in one of the libraries that got used but forgotten about and that fails on RISC OS 4.
Rather than charge everyone for upgrades a small patch was released to solve the problem.
You can certainly delet iSVPatch, but some older iSV programs won't work correctly any more (typical symptoms include grabbing entire 28Mb wimpslots), manuals failing to show pictures after a few pages etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:11 pm 

Aaron wrote:
iSV Patch is designed to get older iSV Software working on RISC OS 4. A lot of the old iSV stuff conatains a right nasty bit of code in one of the libraries that got used but forgotten about and that fails on RISC OS 4.

Rather than charge everyone for upgrades a small patch was released to solve the problem.

It's just a shame that the patch is broken too :(

Quote:
You can certainly delet iSVPatch, but some older iSV programs won't work correctly any more (typical symptoms include grabbing entire 28Mb wimpslots), manuals failing to show pictures after a few pages etc.

Why is it there? Are there some programs supplied on the default disc image which need it? If so which ones?
Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi, in reply:
1. The patch isn't broken, it does it's job
2. Any old iSV stuff, read my post.*
I've said what it does, and what happens if it's removed.
Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:54 pm 

Aaron wrote:
Hi, in reply:

1. The patch isn't broken, it does it's job

Well, OK, however you like to put it: it modifies the behaviour of the OS_File SWI so that it no longer performs as per the PRM (& StrongHelp) documentation.

Quote:
2. Any old iSV stuff, read my post.*

I've said what it does, and what happens if it's removed.

Aaron

Thanks, but you didn't answer the question I'm most interested in the answer to: Are there some programs supplied on the default disc image which need it?
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

The patch does modify OS_File, remember it was written 7 years ago, and a problem has only just shown up. APDL now handle all iSV Stuff.
Any older iSV stuff may need the patch, these could include DrawWorks, Mr Clippy etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:03 pm 

Hi,
I reported this to APDL and they've said that the patch is now redundant as the programs that needed it have all been updated. They also said it should only be used on RISC OS 4.02/3.
It looks like it isn't needed on the VA disc image, so maybe it can be removed for future releases?
Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Altthough the patch is needed for current versions of any iSV software (as far as I know). It would still be needed for older versions. However I will talk to APDL and see what they say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

We are testing a new version of the patch at the moment. It seems to be working fine here so far. I have sent a copy to Martin Wurthner, who has had a problem with the patch and GhostScript. Provided it works OK an upgrade with a new copy of the patch will be available in a few days.
I haven't checked exactly which old iSV programs fail without the patch, but the DrawWorks Millennium manual certainly falls over without it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

An upgrade that installs a new version of the iSV patch (version 1.01b May 2006) is now available from the downloads section of the VirtualAcorn website.
There are upgrades for both VirtualRPC-SE and VirtualRPC-Adjust.
The new StrongARM VirtualAcorns come with the new version of the patch pre-installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:18 pm 

Aaron wrote:
... The new StrongARM VirtualAcorns come with the new version of the patch pre-installed.

I've wasted half a day trying unsuccesfully to get Martin Wuerthner's new version of GhostScript and Steve Fryatt's !PrintPDF working on my VirtualRPC-AdjustSA because of this posting.
The GS installation instructions make clear that iSVPatch should be removed. On the strength of your posting I assumed I had the revised patch (I know; I should have checked) but eventually I discovered that the upgrade CD supplied last week[1] does not have the new iSVPatch installed (it was v1.01a (25 Aug99)).
I have now downloaded the new patch from the VirtualRPC-Adjust web page and installed it which appears not to prevent GS running correctly. (I had to correct the install directory, of course, for SA).
I suggest you expand or correct the posting above, which I found by luck, and provide a installer for AdjustSA.
[1] Serial No: 730263-ADJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

I've done a complete search of the new VRPC-AdjustSA build and the only copy of the iSVPatch I can find is the new one (May 2006).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:03 pm 

Aaron wrote:
I've done a complete search of the new VRPC-AdjustSA build and the only copy of the iSVPatch I can find is the new one (May 2006).

I have installed VirtualRPC-AdjustSA on another PC and examined the contents of the new HardDisc4. You are quite right, the version of iSVPatch in $.!Boot.Choices.Default.Boot.Tasks is the new version, 1.01b .
My apologies for misleading you as well as myself. I made a mistake when amending the new HardDisc4 after upgrading, to conform to my preferred disc structure.
I have removed MouseSync from that location because the PlugIn CallWin32 remains hidden on my machine.