www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Scrolling to the edge in a window
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:50 am 

When I run VRPC in a window I can't get to the edges of the RISCOS desktop, which stops scrolling well before I get down to the icon-bar or near the sides or the top. I have tried using the 'Auto Window Resize' option, but it still stops short of the edge of the desktop. Is there a way around this?
Thanks
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:56 am 
Site Admin

I'm assuming that you are running VRPC in a resolution larger than that of the host PC. For example running RISC OS in 1280 x 1024 whilst the PC is running 1024 x 768.
There may be some ways round this. The first thing to try is to put VRPC into "Hardware Scale" mode from the Tools->Options->Display dialogue box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:30 am 

Thanks Aaron.
I did try running the VRPC at a larger resolution than the host laptop at one stage and, in full screen mode, the desktop scrolled to the edges with no problem, but I have been running both the host and VRPC resolutions at 1024 x 768 for a long time now. (I am using a lower colour depth on the VRPC, but presumably that wouldn't cause this problem.)
I just tried using Hardware Scale mode - the full desktop is then displayed, whatever the size of the window, but the resulting image (at all window sizes) is very grainy (the screen font is all but unreadable) and the mouse very slow to respond and moves in big steps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:58 am 
Site Admin

If VRPC is slow when using HardWare Scale then the PC probably has a very slow graphics chipset. The problem with not seeing the edges of the desktop is that you are displaying a RISC OS desktop of 1024x768 in a window on a Windows dekstop of 1024x768. Obviously you can't fit the entire RISC OS desktop, plus the Windows window furniture on the screen as there aren't enough pixels.
On a laptop with a slow graphics processor I'm not sure what else I can suggest- Apart from using MakeModes to produce a screenmode between 800x800 and 1024x768 that allows the entire RISC OS desktop plus the Windows borders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:55 pm 

Thanks Aaron. Yes, I suspect the host laptop has a fairly ambling graphics chipset! I realise that without changing to HardWare Scale I'm not going to be able to see the whole of the VRPC desktop in one go. But, when not using Hardware Scale, when I move the VRPC mouse pointer to the edge of the window, the VRPC desktop starts to auto-scroll in the opposite direction, but it stops before getting to the edge. This is not a critical problem for me - more a question of occasionally wanting to click an icon or to shut down the VRPC while it's in a window rather than having to go to full screen to do so.
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

It's behaviour is consistant, it's scrolling a small amount, but as I said the best idea is to make a screen mode that just fits the RISC OS desktop plus the Windows furniture into 1024x768. Remember that CTRL SHIFT F12 will shut down VA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:44 pm 

I'll have a go at the screen-mode, but I think the keyboard shut-down sequence is the bit I really must commit to memory - much quicker, even on a real RPC!
Richard