www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Virtual RPC-Adjust and dual screens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:10 am 

Has anyone had any luck running VRPC-Adjust on a dual monitor set up?
On my Dell Inspiron 2650 (Windows XP with SP2, P4 1.7GHz CPU & GeForce2 Go video card), VRPC-Adjust runs fine in a window as long as it's on the primary monitor. The moment it even slightly overlaps on to the secondary monitor, VRPC-Adjust slows to a crawl. Putting the entire VRPC-Adjust window on the secondary monitor produces the same effect.
Anyone who's had this working on a dual monitor set up without issues or has any possible solutions, your info would be appreciated :)
Thanks
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:00 am 

I had problems when I first started using a new XP/SP2 with a dual head 256MB ATI Radeon X600. This was due to having hardware scaling selected. If the VRPC window is shrunk to fit large RISC OS mode on (such as 1600x1200 in to a native 1280x1024 monitor), it will scale the RO desktop, but then go blank when the window is moved. If shrinking the VRPC window for a smaller RO mode (such as 1280x1024), it seems to work ok.
Without hardware scaling, the VRPC window will viewport (scrolls around), and can be displayed on either monitor without any slowdown. Note that this is with VRPC-SE and the normal 2MB max screen modes. The Adjust hack to allow bigger modes my have an effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Just to correct a mis-understanding. All versions of VRPC support screen modes up to 8Mb in size. This includes VRPC-SE, VRPC-SA, VRPC-Adjust and VRPC-AdjustSA.
The only time the screen mode limit will be 2Mb is when running RISC OS Select on VRPC-SE, or on VRPC-SA using the Arm710 or SA cores. Using Select on VRPC-SA with the Arm7500 core still allows 8Mb screen modes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:07 pm 

Yes that right, Select subscribers get even less than nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:43 am 
Site Admin

To Druck:
The VirtualAcorn forums are for issues relating to VirtualAcorn products only. They are not a place for general low level whining about other RISC OS products/services.
If you make any further stupid off topic posts your account will be terminated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:03 am 

Well perhapse you'd like to give a definative answer to a genuine question.
Why are those who've paid ??300 extra for Select penalised by being denied the facilities in the base version of VRPC-SE ot VRPC-Adjust? Why can't a patch be made available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:33 am 
Site Admin

Oh dear, lets deal with the errors in your question first.
Perhaps doesn't have an "e" on the end.
I'm not familar with the word "ot", I assume you meant "or"
VRPC-Adjust already includes RISC OS 4.39, so you don't need Select.
So, wading through the poor grammer and childish spelling, I presume the question was meant to be "Why doesn't Select support 8Mb screen modes on VRPC-SE?".
Well, Select isn't a VirtualAcorn product, it's a RISCOS Limited product and is designed for a RiscPC. When it's run on VirtualAcorn it thinks it's running on a RiscPC, which, as you should know, only supports 2Mb screen modes using a VIDC20.
The early versions of VRPC-SE behaved like a RiscPC and were limited to 2Mb screen modes. Laterly Stuart Tyrell Developments produced an update that allowed larger screen modes (up to 8Mb in size) using RISC OS 4.0x. We did a deal with them and incorporated this into later VirtualAcorn products. In addition we made available a free patch that allowed all VRPC-SE users to have this facility, free of charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:59 am 

That still doesn't answer why can't a similar patch be made available for VRPC-SE running Select?
We've bought your product, VRPC, and bought ROLs product Select to get Adjust functionality with a 10 machine licence. Why then should we have to fork out for the more expensive VRPC-Adjust, with the additional sum going to ROL (we assume), for something we have already paid a huge amount of money for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

The only versions of RISC OS we have "control" over are the ones we supply. We don't supply Select, we supply VirtualAcorns with a bundled copy of RISC OS, either 4.0x or 4.39 (Adjust). These both support 8Mb screen modes (although as I have said earlier the old VRPCs didn't, untill we issued a free upgrade).
If Select is installed on VRPC-SE, or VRPC-SA using the Arm710 or SA cores then the OS will only allow screen modes up to 2Mb in size. As I've said Select isn't a product we sell so we aren't in a position to add this functionality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:14 pm 

Well two points.
Its not like Select is a moving target any more, you've had 2 years and 4 months since the last release in order to make available the same patch as you supplied for RISC OS 4.
Secondly are you co-operating with ROL so that if/when Select 4 arrives the necessary code is built in to Select? So users supposedly at the cutting edge of RISC OS development, don't get a second rate experience from your products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Well I've already answered, but here we go again.
Select is not our product.
As for the rest of your post I have no idea where you are trying to go with this. Select4 is not yet available commercially so there is no point currently asking me what features it has.
Earlier you claimed to have spent "a huge some of money". Well you certainly didn't spend that with us. You have actually spent ??70.50 on your copy of VirtualRPC-SE, when it was on special offer a year ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:34 pm 

Select 3 (costing ??300 up to when it was delivered, lets not even go in to the money wasted after that) isn't your product, but then RISC OS 4.0x is not your product, and Adjust is not your product, you licence the images and supply them with your emulator. If you can patch those, why can't you patch Select?
Its a simple enough question, and if its a technical reason you can get Graham to answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Jolly good, at least you have now accepted that Select isn't our product.
And as you correctly say RISC OS 4 and RISC OS Adjust are not our products either. By the same token they were not products of Castle or RiscStation.
However special versions of RISC OS 4 were required by both manufacturers, one to support the Kinetic and the other to support the RiscStation machines. These differed from the normal retail version of RISC OS 4 that could be purchased by an end user. The situation is similar for ourselves.
Since using screen modes greater than 2Mb in size seems to be so important to you why not consider upgrading to VRPC-SA, which, when using the Arm7500 core, does support large screen modes, because of the different way RISC OS functions on an ARM7500.
An upgrade would cost ??32.50 and we would only need your original VRPC-SE CD back (not the case, licence sticker etc). Since you only paid ??70.50 for VRPC-SE this would bring the total to ??103.00. Which is only ??1.50 more than a VRPC-SA would cost you brand new.
Of course as well as being able to display screen modes greater then 2Mb in size using Select you would also gain the other advantages that VRPC-SA has over VRPC-SE, you can find these from the products section of the main VirtualAcorn website.
Oh, and by the way, it's Graeme, not Graham.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:05 pm 

Or even Graeme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:07 pm 

At last a sensible answer, thank you Aaron. I'll give it due consideration.