www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Setting Edit$options
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:23 pm 

Hi everyone,

On Virtual Acorn Adjust an Obey file !Boot.Choices.Users.Single.Boot.Tasks.Edit is used to set Edit$Options during boot up. I have set the option for window width to A80, but whenever the system is booted the window can be extended to fill the whole screen.

If I quit Edit, double click on the Obey file and reload Edit there is no change; the window width is limited only by the screen width. This is not the behaviour on my Risc PC with Adjust.

If I go through the same procedure and alter the options for, say, text and background colours this works fine, so the obey file is having an effect on some options.

How can I change the window width?

With thanks in advance,

Ralph

Post subject: Re: Setting Edit$options
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:06 am 
Site Admin

If you have an Edit$Options Obey file on a "real" RPC that works, then try copying it over to the VRPC and trying it. Note that the Edit$Options must be set *before* Edit is loaded.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:09 pm 

Aaron wrote:
If you have an Edit$Options Obey file on a "real" RPC that works, then try copying it over to the VRPC and trying it. Note that the Edit$Options must be set *before* Edit is loaded.

Thanks for the reply. I've tried that and it doesn't work. In any case the two obey files were identical at the start and the version of !Edit is the same on both. The obey files now have different values for the work area size as a result of my fiddling about trying to get it to work, but that is surely not significant.

It's very strange isn't it; identical operating systems, identical versions of the software but at least one of the options cannot be set on one of the machines.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Ralpn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:31 pm 

Hi All,

The problem is now solved. I have experimented by systematically leaving out options one at a time. My options giving the problem were:
Edit$Options F7 B0 W10 H10 L0 R0 U5000 A80
and the last, A80, setting the work space size, was not being obeyed. My experiments show that leaving out R0 (Window rap, off or on), which is part of the default, did the trick. So now my Edit windows are well behaved.
This isn't the case with my Risc PC (running the same operating system and using the same version of Edit and the same Edit$Options as above). The A option is obeyed. However, a little experimentation showed that the same problem could be triggered by different choices of options.
So this isn't a Virtual RPC problem but one for RO Ltd. As you are on on the ROL board Aaron, perhaps you would prefer to report it? I am happy to do so if not. Best wishes, Ralph

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

The best idea would probably be to report the issue via the RISC OS Select Google Group. It's probably related to the screen size you are using - perhaps the "real" RPC is running at a higher resolution than the VRPC?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:47 am 

Aaron wrote:
The best idea would probably be to report the issue via the RISC OS Select Google Group. It's probably related to the screen size you are using - perhaps the "real" RPC is running at a higher resolution than the VRPC?

Thanks Aaron, I will happily do that. I'm very shortly going away so it may be a week or so before it appears.

The real RPC is running at a lower resolution (1280 by 1024) than VRPC (1600 by 1200) as it happens.

Thanks,

Ralph

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:50 pm 

RalphS wrote:
Aaron wrote:

Ralph[quote]

Mysteriouser and Mysteriouser as Alice would say. An new problem has
arisen.

After several days of trouble free use of the RISCube using Edit occasionally, I switched on today to find that Edit wouldn't display text. Evidently both text and background colours were set to white. I transfered the Obey file 'Edit' from the RPC to the root directory on the RISCube, then exited Edit, double clicked on the Obey file and reloaded Edit with the result that text was displayed correctly with black on white.

I could then look at the Edit Obey file in Tasks on the RISCube. In the Edit$Options string the commands F7 (text colour black) and B0 (background white) were *identical* in this and the file from the RPC.

Nevertheless I tried deleting the file in Tasks and replacing it with the file from the RPC and rebooting. No joy, text display is not possible.

There is no difference in behaviour if Edit is run in the Boot sequence or run manually afterwards.

There seems to be something seriously weird going on here. It begins to look as though I will be forced to learn to use StrongEd at last!

Can I again ask if anyone else has experienced similar problems?

Ralph

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:50 pm 

Hi, everyone,

My problem is now solved. Someone on the Select list suggested that I used Nico ter Haar's Boot plugin, AppSetup. This works by changing the Edit$Options string in the Obey file in Tasks as expected. But why my own manual editing of the string didn't work isn't clear at all.

There is still a problem to be solved but I have what I want so I leave it with ROL.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Ralph