www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Virtual RiscPC SA, Real RiscPC SA, and Windows 7
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:20 pm 

At present I have Windows XP SP3 running Virtual Acorn RiscPC SA and use my RiscPC as a server as I do not trust the security of my Windows PC to hold my own sensitive information.

I use the VRPC as it gives me the two machines on one monitor without all the wiring which I used to have when using a "MyHopper" switch.

My worry is if I upgrade to Windows 7 will I have problems with the Network, as I understand that Vista was very difficult if not impossible to network with Acorn.

I have asked both Rcomp and Virtual Acorn if their respective programmes will work successfully with Windows 7 and both have confirmed favourably, the programmes in question are VRPC and Uniprint/scan.

Paul Vigay used to post very helpful pages on his site regarding Networking and setting up both Windows PCs and Acorns. At present I have not found any similar information re Windows 7 on other Acorn/Risc sites, has anyone seen any?

I look forward to hearing your views and thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Virtual RiscPC SA, Real RiscPC SA, and Windows 7
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:49 am 

I think a bit more information is required, what software is used on which platforms to use the RiscPC as a server.

In general a lot of Vista's problems were sorted with SP1 and LanMan98 was updated to a Vista compliant version 2. LanMan98v2 looks to be OK with both Vista and Windows 7, as briefly tested. Samba was a dead loss, so nothing new there then.

It may be better to ask this sort of question on csa.networking as it is not VRPC specific.

ShareFS on VRPC on Vista, XP and Mac always saw ShareFS's on my real RISC OS machines.

I have upgraded one Vista Home Edition to Windows 7. Window 7 is a definite improvement on Vista but to be fair Vista SP2 helped a lot. I do not have VRPC on that machine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:13 pm 

Thanks for your reply, when I say "acting as a server" it may not be the correct terminology.

When I am running Virtual Acorn on the PC it connects via a speedtouch ADSL router to my real Risc PC where I store my files which are used in !Pipe dream 4.5, and !Style to name a couple of programmes in use.

I have set up the Acorn platforms via Share FS, and the other settings as required in !Boot Network settings. I also use LanMan 97 to look at Windows PC files and Uniprint/Scan.

I have set up the Windows XP sp3 as advised on Paul Vigays networking site.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:17 pm 

Typing error, LanMan98 not 97.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:04 pm 

There has been a minor outbreak of progress here, I have just upgraded my Toshiba Qosmio laptop to Windows 7, it ran Vista Ultimate so I did an (expensive!) in situ upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate.

VRPC still runs, and UAC is on. LanMan98v2 on a real RiscPC, OS4.04, can see a Windows 7 share and pass data??in both directions.