www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RPC-SA very laggy, sluggish in operation
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:35 am 

Greetings again.

In relation to the problem, we had the same troubles with Virtual RPC-SA in the past but managed to get it running smoothly for a short time by changing the priority settings in the config file for the program on the PC side. This was suggested in the Virtual RPC-SA live help feature and it worked for a while however it came back in force and now is making the computer (i mean the RiscPC) very hard to run. For example, when dragging windows it isn't smooth, taking a few seconds to redraw. And running programs like ArtWorks are very slow as well.

I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but after we changed the config file initially we had problems running photodesk as the amount of memory available for the Virtual RPC-SA was only 32Mb and hardly adequite to loading large tif or even jpg files which is what the Acorn was used for in the past for making large A0 posters. So we found out how to modify the amount of memory available so now it has 128Mb. It may or may not have something to do with the speed issue.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Nathan writing on behalf of my father Rob.

Post subject: Re: RPC-SA very laggy, sluggish in operation
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry about the problem.

If you have 128Mb RAM configured for VirtualRPC then you really need at least 512Mb in the Host PC.

VirtualRPC running slow tends to indicate that the PC is short on resources and hence VirtualRPC simply isn't getting enough CPU time. Start quitting Windows apps one at a time and see if RISC OS performance improves. Note that both Norton and MacAfee are both terrible resource hogs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:28 pm 

We don't have Norton or McAfee but we do have AVG would this cause the same problem?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:39 am 
Site Admin

No. AVG uses much less resources. So go back to me idea of quitting running apps one at a time to see if you can find the culprit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:50 pm 

I noticed this sluggishness after upgrading to Windows 10. Most things work well, but Pipedream has become very slow indeed, especially when marking a range of cells, and often misses letters when typing.