www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: VirtualRPC-AdjustSA New User
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:14 pm 

Im a new user of VirtualRPC-AdjustSA, I have had a number of Acorn Computers in the past and it's good to get back into using RISC OS, I have a few questions if I may and if anyone is able to help, once the installation was complete changed the screen size to 1600 x 1200 and was impressed with what I was seeing.

These are my current display settings in the bottom right corner of the VRPC-ASA window:
Mips: 332.87 Fps: 88 Sys: 25.7

Q1: When I start VRPC-ASA I get the following warning message, "The system was not correctly shutdown. Data may have been lost from transfers in progress. You may wish to check your discs for faults." not sure why I'm getting this message, I thought I had shutdown correctly but may be I have not, have started VRPC-ASA a number of time and get the message everytime.

Q2: Once RISC OS is up and running there are a number of icons on the desktop !Draw, !Paint, MyFiles directory, RISCOS manual, UserGuide and !FirstSteps, is there away of removing these so that they don't appear everytime I start RISC OS.

Q3: Is there an application that will perminantly delete files within the RISC OS.

Q4: Is there a application or program available that works very much in the same way as Visual Basic.

Q5: I have a Dreyteck wireless router will it be possible to connect to the web using VRPC-ASA if so how can this be done.

Q6: The first time I started VRPC-ASA the screen size was 800 x 600, I had changed this to 1600 x 1200 but when I re-start VRPC-ASA this always starts with the screen size of 800 x 600, what do I need to do so the screen size will always stay at 1600 x 1200 on start up.

On the bottom of the icon bar there is an application called WinClip the icon is white with a black question mark in the middle could this be part of the problem that I have been having or will I need to do a complete re-install of VRPC-ASA.

Will look forward to if anyone is able to help.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: VirtualRPC-AdjustSA New User
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

OK, in oder:

1. Shut down from the Task Manager (press Menu, then Shutdown then OFF)
2. remove unwanted icons and save the changed pinboard.
3. The filer - select a file then Menu and then File "xxxx" delete
4. Not quite the same - but install the programmers software pack.
5. Automatic - if the PC is connected then VRPC is
6. See the VirtualAcorn user Guide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:04 pm 

This post is being sent using the web within VirtualRPC-AdjustSA, thank you the help, once I have removed any unwanted icons on the desktop and need to save the changed pinboard where and in which directory do I save this to, guess it's going to be in the !Boot directory somewhere?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:33 pm 

sabre2 wrote:
This post is being sent using the web within VirtualRPC-AdjustSA, thank you the help, once I have removed any unwanted icons on the desktop and need to save the changed pinboard where and in which directory do I save this to, guess it's going to be in the !Boot directory somewhere?

Just accept the default location offered in the save box.

Adam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:41 pm 

When you accept the default location offered in the save box, clicking on save does nothing but don't you need to drag the icon in the save window to a particular location for this to work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:48 pm 

In my very first post in Q1 I'm still now having the same problem even after a number of re-installs, why is this still happening, is it a simple mistake that I'm making or maybe something that I may have done wrong, or could it be a problem with the install CD Disc?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

When you click on Save in the Pinboard dialogue the chabged Pinboard is saved in the correct place. You don't need to drag anywhere. This is standard RISC OS behaviour across all applications.

Are you shutting down as per my suggestion? Menu on the taskmanager, then click on Shutdown from the Menu, then click on "Off"

If you are using Vista then have you followed the instructions for running VRPC on Vista?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:01 pm 

When I click on Save in the Pinboard dialogue nothing seems to happen, I change my screensize to 1600 x 1200 then click on the middle mouse menu button on the desktop then select Save then Save As, this is where nothing seems to happen, still not sure if there is anything I'm doing wrong, again any help will be welcome.

The other problem that I'm also having where I get this message everytime on startup.

"The system was not correctly shutdown. Data may have been lost from transfers in progress. You may wish to check your discs for faults."

Having followed the steps that have been suggested I still have the same problem where the message still appears, again is it a simple mistake that I could be making or is it some other error.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

It would help if you could tell us if you are following the suggestions given.

For example - how are you shutting down RISC OS? are you doing it the way I've suggested?
What do you expect to happen when you save a changed pinboard?

Are you using Windows Vista? If so have you followed the Vista instructions?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:22 am 

sabre2 wrote:
When I click on Save in the Pinboard dialogue nothing seems to happen, I change my screensize to 1600 x 1200 then click on the middle mouse menu button on the desktop then select Save then Save As, this is where nothing seems to happen, still not sure if there is anything I'm doing wrong, again any help will be welcome.
If you want to save the screen size/colour settings, use the configure tool. (Middle button on the switcher in the bottom right, then choose "choices".)

The pinboard is just the background colour/picture and the "shortcut" icons pinned to it.

Adam