www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Printing investigation
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:37 am 

Here is some more information for you Aaron.
First the Mac. I have the full Adobe Acrobat Pro version 7. This includes Distiller. I have set the default printer to AdobePDF, which is a generic postscript printer, and tested it by printing several documents from various software on the Mac. This takes the actual or physical printer out of the equation as it doesn't matter what you normally use for physical printing, and whether yours is different to mine or not. Each time I have the Printers List and Print Jobs windows open. Every time it 'prints', it uses Distiller to build a pdf file which it saves to the desktop.
I now set the VRPC !Printers connection to AdobePDF and saved it. I had also loaded the PS2 driver in addition to the Deskjet driver. I now loaded Ovation Pro and one of my multi-page booklets. These are A5 pages which when collated and printed to A4 sheets produce a small magazine. I first selected the Deskjet driver and set it to print. Afterwards I tried the same thing over again but with the PS2 driver selected.
Under RISC OS this takes a while and a green bar slowly advances across the screen to show the progress, as I'm sure you are familiar with. The idea was that since it takes a few minutes I could switch back and forth to see what was happening.
On the Mac, nothing happens until the printing finishes on the VRPC side. Then the word 'printing...' appears in the 'Printers List' dialogue box against the default printer i.e. AdobePDF. In the Show Jobs dialogue box you can see it call up Distiller, and the progress bar appears (a blue and white 'candy bar' as I call it!) for a short while, just as with printing from the Mac. However, when it finishes - nothing. No saved file on the desktop, nothing shown by Spotlight as having been produced or saved. It simply vanishes. It appears in the completed jobs list but cannot be resent or reprinted as you simply get that error I told you about before 'client-error-not-possible'.
The same thing happens with the PS2 driver on RISC OS, but as expected the two completed jobs on the Mac are of different sizes. The Deskjet one is approx. 19MB and the PS2 around 9MB.
Hopefully this gives you something more to illuminate what is going on?
Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

Can we please keep subjects on a single thread. As per my comment on the other thread this is best taken onto e-mail - as it's most likely to be machine specific.
The one suggestion I have from this post is to set the real printer to be the default printer (not Distiller) and then try VRPC printing to the DeskJet again.