www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: One solution for gaining 3 mouse buttons with a trackpad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:02 pm 

This program adds functionality to the trackpad on portables:
http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/si ... index.html
It's especially useful for earlier Macs without trackpad scrolling, but it adds something which helps with VRPC, namely configuration for middle mouse button and tap for right button.
These two last configs work in VRPC, so that you don't need an external mouse for 3 button operation.
At the moment scrolling in Risc OS doesn't work for me either with external mouse or track pad, but the 3 button availability is definitely useful.

Post subject: Re: One solution for gaining 3 mouse buttons with a trackpad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:13 pm 

pqb wrote:
At the moment scrolling in Risc OS doesn't work for me either with external mouse or track pad, but the 3 button availability is definitely useful.

Does scrolling work on a real Acorn computer?
I have an A410, and two RiscPCs, but none have a mouse with a scroll wheel, so I had not really noticed that scrolling doesn't work on VRPC-SE under Windows XP. All three buttons work as expected.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:20 am 

My Risc PC has no USB port, so I cannot try it, but I did read some time ago that the OS does now support some scroll wheel mice. You'd need to contact Risc OS Ltd for the latest on that.
I mentioned scrolling just so that folks don't get their hopes up for the current version.
The point here is that you can get the same functionality with an Apple Mac trackpad as with a mouse. Hitherto the adjust and menu buttons have worked with an external mouse as you would expect, but it has only been possible to click select using the trackpad. The Apple ctrl click did not work in VRPC for an adjust click.
You mention Windows, which has of course had VRPC and its predecessors for a while, whereas the Apple version is still in beta. Moreover Apple only supply one button on the track pad, even tho now the OS handles 3- (and even more) button mice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:13 pm 

pqb wrote:
This program adds functionality to the trackpad on portables:

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/si ... index.html

It's especially useful for earlier Macs without trackpad scrolling, but it adds something which helps with VRPC, namely configuration for middle mouse button and tap for right button.

These two last configs work in VRPC, so that you don't need an external mouse for 3 button operation.

I tried the driver you suggested on my iBook but it left me with an almost uncontrolable pointer. I didn't load Virtual RPC to see if it would work there as it was unusable on the mac os x. It realy was a raging menace in operation.
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:53 am 

Sorry to hear that. On a PowerBook Titanium it was usable, although I too have abandoned it, as I have got used to managing without in Mac OS.
It did work well for me in VRPC to emulate menu and adjust, even though scrolling does not work (nor with a real mouse).
These add-on programs are not always trouble free. I sent this to Aaron yesterday:
I have just come across a problem when using an external mouse if Side Track is installed. The menu appears for a second or so, then disappears as if it had been clicked on. This means it is impossible to do very much in the filer.
I think the answer is then, to install Side Track if you wish to use only track pad, but not to install if you prefer a mouse.
It did work very well in VRPC with the trackpad, but I have removed it from my computer as I don't really like the effect while using Mac OS X. In the end it is a matter of taste.
I have found that using a Bluetooth mouse is a good solution with VRPC, as it is compact and you can use the area next to the keyboard if space is limited. Most Macs now have bluetooth as standard, or if not you can get a dongle (best from a Mac dealer or take the computer to the shop to test it). The mouse I use is a Trust MI 5300m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

We are trying to add support so that the RISC OS menus can be opened using a keyboard press (as per the Windows versions). This is proving somewhat difficult due to the way the Mac handles "special" keys on the keyboard.