www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Networking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:23 pm 

I haven't seen anyone comment upon this so far which I find strange, but I have a problem with the 2nd beta networking which was not there in the first beta. Has no one else experienced it? What do others do re networking?
The first beta worked well for me straight out of the box, but it didn't run RISC OS 6, so whilst I looked forward to further Mac-VRPC development, I continued running and testing of beta 1 with OS 4.39. After receiving beta 2 and installing it, I was disappointed to find that the TCP/IP networking no longer worked, so I returned to beta 1 at the time.
I recently decided to have another look at beta 2 and see if I could trace the fault, but I have not had any luck so far. ShareFS works fine in beta 2 if my iBook is physically connected to my network, and I can connect to either my RiscPC or my Iyonix, and transfer files with no problems, but that still leaves me unable to connect to my G4. However, I normally connected my iBook to my network via Airport, so I also need to use !Omniclient/!LanMan98 to access my network. With beta 1 this worked straight out of the box. I didn't have to do any special setting up. With the iBook already connected wirelessly, I found I could connect via !LanMan98 and access my G4 Powerbook, and if I wanted to, I could use !NetFetch and !Pluto to read my email, or even !Oregano to access the web (but since the Mac is so much better at this, I only did it to prove it worked!).
Something must have changed between beta 1 and 2 regarding the TCP/IP networking, and since the Mac side still works fine, it has to be within the VRPC program. Has anyone got this working? Since beta 2 has changed to allow it to work on Intel Macs, could this have any bearing?
My iBook is a 1.42 GHz PPC processor and I'm running OS X 10.4.11
I have not changed any settings or installation between the two. The fault error is: 'bad file descriptor' and is in an !Omniclient dialogue box. The fault appears immediately you click the icon in the list window, and it does not even attempt to make a connection, so it is nothing to do with an incorrect network name setting. Does anyone know what that error signifies? Thanks.
Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:55 am 
Site Admin

I've done a bit of thinking about this one. The next release of VRPC for the Mac is imminent and I don't really want to support the old beta versions once this is released as they have know issues.
However there is something you could try. I must stress that I have not tried it myself and offer no guarantees as to what could/might happen...
So here we go...
You could try swapping over the Internet bundles from Beta 1 and Beta 2. Find the relevant VRPC applications on your harddisc. Now select the VRPC App concerned and choose "Show Package Contents" (this can normally be found by right clicking on the VRPC app).
Now go into Contents.Plugins and you will see th Internet Bundle. You could swap this round between Beta 1 and Beta 2 (ie. put the Beta1 Internet Bundle into Beta 2).
As always take a backup of everything before doing it so you can put everything back if you need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:55 am 

Aaron wrote:
I've done a bit of thinking about this one...

However there is something you could try. I must stress that I have not tried it myself and offer no guarantees as to what could/might happen...

So here we go...

You could try swapping over the Internet bundles from Beta 1 and Beta 2. Find the relevant VRPC applications on your harddisc. Now select the VRPC App concerned and choose "Show Package Contents" (this can normally be found by right clicking on the VRPC app).

Now go into Contents.Plugins and you will see th Internet Bundle. You could swap this round between Beta 1 and Beta 2 (ie. put the Beta1 Internet Bundle into Beta 2).

Thanks for the suggestion.
I've tried this now Aaron, but there must be something that doesn't match up in the program as it simply fails to load. It gets as far as the black window or screen appearing, but nothing appears in it, and it returns you to Mac OS X with a 'this program has unexpectedly quit' report.
I checked inside the Internet Bundle, and tried just swopping the Mac OS.Internet file and it loaded but still had the non-functioning network with the same 'Bad file descriptor' error. I then tried again having swopped just the Bundle Resources.Internetrom.dat file and this caused the same failure to run the program as swopping the whole bundle.
Hope this is of some use.
Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for reporting back. We will have to wait for the next release to see if the problems are resolved.
P.S. I do have your e-mails and I'm sorry I haven't answered I am keeping them until I get to the relevant point(s) in the disc build/manual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:56 pm 

Aaron wrote:
Thanks for reporting back. We will have to wait for the next release to see if the problems are resolved.

P.S. I do have your e-mails and I'm sorry I haven't answered I am keeping them until I get to the relevant point(s) in the disc build/manual.

Not a problem Aaron. I gathered you were probably busy.
Roy

Post subject: Re: Networking
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:28 pm 

roy-matra wrote:
I haven't seen anyone comment upon this ... What do others do re: networking?

The first beta worked well for me straight out of the box, but it didn't run RISC OS 6...

... ShareFS works fine in beta 2 if my iBook is physically connected to my network, and I can connect to either my RiscPC or my Iyonix, and transfer files with no problems, but that still leaves me unable to connect to my G4. However, I normally connected my iBook to my network via Airport, so I also need to use !Omniclient/!LanMan98 to access my network. With beta 1 this worked straight out of the box. I didn't have to do any special setting up. With the iBook already connected wirelessly, I found I could connect via !LanMan98 and access my G4 Powerbook, and if I wanted to, I could use !NetFetch and !Pluto to read my email, or even !Oregano to access the web (but since the Mac is so much better at this, I only did it to prove it worked!).
[snipped]
My iBook is a 1.42 GHz PPC processor and I'm running OS X 10.4.11
I have not changed any settings or installation between the two. The fault error is: 'bad file descriptor' and is in an !Omniclient dialogue box. The fault appears immediately you click the icon in the list window, and it does not even attempt to make a connection, so it is nothing to do with an incorrect network name setting. Does anyone know what that error signifies? Thanks.

Roy

To update others on this problem, I now have the full Version 1 and it gives the same problem as beta 2, i.e. TCP/IP networking still does not work. After a little more checking I found that the problem appears to be that the inet$resolver is being set to the loopback address (127.0.0.1) instead of the correct one. The beta 1 version got this correct, which is why it works. With beta 1 I can connect to my Mac's via !Omniclient or !LanMan98 either when wired or wirelessly. I tried to change inet$resolver after the Boot up was complete but that doesn't work, since the VRPC Resolver module doesn't accept the *ResolverConfig (or any other) command.

Does no one use their VirtualRPC to network to any other Mac or Windows computer? Or have you got it working? Any ideas on a solution? I'm still awaiting a reply from Virtual Acorn.

Roy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:43 am 

roy-matra wrote:
I haven't seen anyone comment upon this ... What do others do re: networking?
[snipped]

Does no one use their VirtualRPC to network to any other Mac or Windows computer?

Roy

Since there are no answers from anyone, and I now know it needed a change to the program to work correctly, (and to answer my own question above) it seems not! I received a new module from Virtual Acorn for the program that allows it to network correctly. Many thanks to Graeme for sorting it out.

If others are not networking their Virtual Acorn with other systems, even wirelessly when required, I think you are missing out on the full capabilities of this program...

Roy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

Once the changed version of the Internet plug-in has been properly tested it will be made available for all the Mac users from the downloads section of the VirtualAcorn website. Whilst we know it fixes Roy's problem we need to ensure that there are no other issues before it goes out.