www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Shiftlock
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:31 pm 

I have a 2.8 GHz iMac. In VA I find that shiftlock does not work consistently either on the wired or wireless keyboards. Both work perfectly on the Mac side.
Pressing shiftlock briefly until the light comes on will shift to uppercase but pressing again until the light goes off usually will not bring back lowercase. More often than not, shiftlock+cmd will give lowercase but not consistently. It might take quite a few presses to do so. Also, even if lowercase returns the light does not necessarily turn off.
Has anybody experienced this problem and is there a solution?

Post subject: Re: Shiftlock
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:43 pm 

Samphire wrote:
I have a 2.8 GHz iMac. In VA I find that shiftlock does not work consistently either on the wired or wireless keyboards. Both work perfectly on the Mac side.

Pressing shiftlock briefly until the light comes on will shift to uppercase but pressing again until the light goes off usually will not bring back lowercase. More often than not, shiftlock+cmd will give lowercase but not consistently. It might take quite a few presses to do so. Also, even if lowercase returns the light does not necessarily turn off.

Has anybody experienced this problem and is there a solution?

Yes, now you mention it, I have experienced this too. It always transfers to uppercase first time but takes at least three presses to return to lower case. As it is something I don't do very often it has not worried me, and in fact I had forgotten about it.
Have you tried holding down the Fn key when you press the 'caps lock' key? This combination (Fn key + ...) allows the use of the function keys F1 to F12 in RISC OS so maybe it will allow the 'caps lock' key to work correctly too. I haven't used it for a while so haven't tried this yet, but was going to next time it happens.
I have a PPC iBook with OS X 10.4.11 and the fault is definitely there in beta 1 which I have used almost exclusively. Not sure about beta 2.
Roy

Last edited by roy-matra on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:54 pm 

I seem to have tried all possible combinations of key presses and nothing is reliable. So I have got around the problem by disabling Caps Lock in the Mac preference pane. However, it would be nice to have the problem fixed.
Any ideas, Aaron?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:43 am 

Samphire wrote:
I seem to have tried all possible combinations of key presses and nothing is reliable. So I have got around the problem by disabling Caps Lock in the Mac preference pane. However, it would be nice to have the problem fixed.

Any ideas, Aaron?

I have just tried what I proposed - using Fn + Caps lock to change case up and down and it worked correctly every time in beta 1 and beta 2 for me. This was not an exhaustive test, just a brief try out in !Edit, but where pressing just Caps lock fails to change the state or gives the wrong state (i.e. with the light on the state is upper case and off the state is lower case, so it has reversed) using the Fn key and Caps lock key from the start, changed the state correctly each time.
Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:21 am 

Thanks for that. I'm using v1.6.4.
Your method does work for me too but I have to press the Fn key and release first and then press the Caps Lock key. I think that I do better just to disable the key and use Shift.

Post subject: Re: Shiftlock
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:07 pm 

Just found this post. I have been using the Mac release version of VRPC, and this problem of Caps lock not working has been driving me nuts for some time. I too have tried using 'fn' key with caps lock, but it is not consistent and really screws you up, if you try using caps- lock on its own first.

Anyone got a working solution for this?