www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: setuid root:admin?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:26 pm 

Hello!

After getting RISC OS working fine on my Mac I wanted to try out !RiscPkg. Problems getting that to work (ongoing on its own mailing list) led me to some questions about what privileges VA has/needs.

I noticed that 'ping' from RISC OS resulted in an 'Operation not permitted' error. Checking the status of the VirtualRPC binary I noticed that it is owned by my mac user and has permissions 0755. Assuming this was the reason for the ping failure I gave it root privileges and set the setuid bit. Ping now works from RISC OS but I'm still not sure whether this is as intended or whether there was another problem as there are still network problems even running as a privileged user:

host <hostname> seems sometimes to crash RISC OS but not VA
traceroute <hostname> produces:
Internal error, no stack for trap handler: Data Abort, pc = 60009F44: registers at 0000B670

Sorry if I'm confabulating issues here, mixing up VA networking with RISC OS command line tool problems.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel.

P.S. If anyone has !RiscPkg running on VA I'd be interested to hear too :-)

Post subject: Re: setuid root:admin?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:43 am 

Maybe take a look at:

Mac > Preferences > Security > Firewall > "Set access for specific services (VRPC)?

On my setup I am asked if I want to permit connection. It is possible for example to 'break' networking between VRPC and a RPC by setting the firewall adversely.