www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sleep crashing problem
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:19 pm 

Hi all! This has probably come up before with previous versions of VRPC on Windows, but when VRPC is running and you engage 'sleep' mode on the Mac side, VRPC appears to crash with a black screen when the Mac comes out of sleep mode.

Obviously, when the Mac goes to sleep, VRPC is running in a window, as it has to be to activate sleep mode.

Anyone else had this problem or know why it might be happening?

Post subject: Re: Sleep crashing problem
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:15 pm 

I usually leave my Mac in Sleep mode with VRPC active and most of the time there is absolutely no problem when I wake it up again.

Occasionally I get the problem you describe or, as happened this evening, VRPC is completely locked up and can only be closed with a Force Quit. However, I find sleep mode so convenient that I have just been accepting this as something I can live with. So far at least, I've had no file problems and RISC OS is back up within seconds.

Post subject: Re: Sleep crashing problem
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:35 am 
Site Admin

It's possible the VRPC hasn't actually "crashed", but that RISC OS hasn't re-drawn the desktop. One you have slept the machine and re-started with the black screen try pressing ALT and RETURN a couple of times.

A useful quick test (provided your machine has sound enabled) is to press F12 (it might be worth reading:

viewtopic.phpf=13&t=465

For more information on Function keys on VRPC running on Mac OS X.

The F12 press will drop RISC OS out of the desktop and into the command line. Then press and hold down CTRL and press G (his should produce a beep) from RISC OS.