www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: VA crashes Mac on files transfer from Iyonix
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:03 am 

I suspect this is a RISC OS problem as I have come across this sort of thing before but here goes:

I have been slowly transferring files from my Iyonix to VARPC on my new Mac. I was doing this with RISC OS Share (which is so easy to set up) and thought it would be sensible to enlarge the Filer Action Window on the Task Manager, to speed up the file transfer. However after transferring twenty or so files of 20M or more, VARPC locked up on the Mac and with it the Mac (Pro) was also locked up. I had to press the OFF button to get out of this and power down.

I then tried to do file transfers with Samba on the Iyonix and LanMan98 on the VARPC. This worked and seemed to be more tolerant of large files but got stuck after a few files over 50M and locked up VARPC and the Mac. More goes on the front button.

Eventually I reverted to the original 640K size for the Filer Action Window and all files progressed OK.

The only stoppage after that was when everything ground to a half while running two file transfer operations at once and one was dealing with a 400 Mb file. Pausing the other file transfer allowed the big one to continue OK and then the other ran to an end OK.

I have now done a first transfer of all files and am trying to establish some speed figures between VARPC and the Iyonix, while continuing to use the latter. Once I am happy with VARPC, I'll do a second transfer of the updated file areas and hope that all goes well.