www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Multiple user query
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:18 pm 

I have two users configured on the Mac side but we find that my husband has to login to the Mac as me to use VRPC. Is it not possible for him to login as 'himself' without access problems?

Tricia

Post subject: Re: Multiple user query
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 am 
Site Admin

I expect that when the VRPC was installed it was installed under your account. You should be able to make the VRPC available to all users - but I'm not near a Mac and cannot recall how to do it off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:17 pm 

Normally programs for all users are stored in /Volumes/Mackintosh HD/Programs
I think your copy is stored in /Users/xxx/Programs (xxx=account name )

Just try to copy the VA app to the /Volumes/Mackintosh HD/Programs location, and try if it works for all accounts
(I have moved my VA app without problems from the internal HD to a fast firewire 800 disk without problems (but it was done under the same account)

There is a chance you have to alter the read/write permission ( right click on the VA app and choose show info ,on the bottom of your info window you can change read/write permissions - don't know the exact info : my OSX is Dutch and I presume yours is in English )
If VA for Mac is already in /Volumes/Mackintosh HD/Programs then you only have to change the permissions in the info window.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:48 pm 

I have a slight problem as I don't have quite the same configuration as you. Also bear in mind that I am fairly inexperienced with Mac so am not always familiar with the appropriate terms.

It looks as if what is Volumes for you is Devices for me, then when I go to Macintosh HD the folder contains Applications, Developer, Library, System and Users folders. The Applications (what I think you know as Programs) are, on the face of it, available to all Users although some seem to be tied to specific Users which I take to be some kind of copy protection.

The VRPC app is currently in /Devices/Macintosh HD/Applications, where the Installer put it. This is, I think, the equivalent of the location you are suggesting, i.e. /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Programs but there is some kind of access issue when I log in as a different user and try to run VRPC. Anyway, I will have a look at the permissions and see if that solves it.

Many thanks for taking the time to offer help - it is much appreciated.

Tricia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:12 pm 

Tricia,

How's your unix? I like to sort out permissions problems on the command line.

I've had a similar problem to yours with my son. I installed VRPC in Applications, so he has permission to run it, but every so often he is told he doesn't have permission to alter one of his own files. This is because VRPC set it up in my name and only gave me permissions to alter it. Once you've identified the file:

1. Go into terminal mode (Applications -> utilities)

2. cd to the appropriate directory (I'm not at my Mac at the moment, but it starts /Applications/Virtual etc. If in doubt, type cd / to take yourself to the root directory, then type ls -l. This will give you a long listing of the files and directories in the directory. You can run ls -l from any directory).

3. When you reach the directory containing the file causing the problem, you will see the permissions with ls -l. This will also show you who owns the file. If we are talking about (for example) a word processed document:

chmod 666 (name of file goes here)

will make it available for reading and writing to everyone who logs on to that Mac.

If a software application, chmod 777 (name of app goes here).

If you need/want more information, just ask.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:30 pm 

Thanks, Mark.

My unix is non-existent (I think!). I'm not really a command line person... Up to now we have coped, so I think I will wait a while before tinkering :)

Tricia