www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Saving files to memory stick
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Kees Meijer wrote:
I was also coming up with something similair app (but I don't have the time now to make it idiot proof )
But I can confirm that every device mounted with the /Volumes/ command will work with VA for Mac
as long as your mounted volumes have read/write access you can read/write from within VA

Sorry - if I had known I wouldn't have taken your idea and made an application. I feel like I've rained on your parade :-(

Kees Meijer wrote:
have tried CD/DVD's - network drives / USB firewire drives /NAS drives samba or AFP shares / iPod etc.
you can mount a cardreader connected to an Apple Airport extreme router or different mac's on your network
We have a mobile me familypack , you can if you want connect to another mac everywhere in the world with the 'back to my mac' function

I'd go along with all of that from the testing I've done so far. I do have one question though. Is the main harddisc always called 'Macintosh HD' regardless of the langauge configured. I'm using the 'Macintosh' part of the title as a filter to prevent a user getting access to it. Obviously if it's called something else on some non-English machines then the filter won't work.

Kees Meijer wrote:
One nice feature is that you can make an sparcebundle dmg file with 128bit AES password protection.
All my private RISCOS documents are copied to that sparceimage. - no one on the mac can open that .dmg file without the correct password
If you have an mobile me account you can even mount your iDisk and read/write to your public folder on that disk ( extra 20GB storage on the Apple servers )

That's clever - what happens on the RISC OS side when a user tries to open the dmg file?

Kees Meijer wrote:
as you can see endless possibilities. (yes a lot more as the humble windows user :lol: :mrgreen: )

Yep :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:03 pm 

External FDD arrived. I've tried it with Impression disk 1. Nothing at all on RISC OS, the Mac side says "The disk you inserted was not recognized by this computer". The FDD does not show up in Disk Utility, although I suspect this is because it does not recognize the disk.

I'll try the FDD on my wife's laptop, which also has VRPC on it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:39 pm 

Curioser and curioser.

It doesn't work on DrivePop either - "Disk has not been formatted". I've tried it with three Impression disks.

Worried that the new drive might have damaged my disks, I tried one in the Iyonix and it worked perfectly.

I'll try some different disks and report back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

Mac OS X cannot read Acorn format floopy discs - it can only read DOS formatted floppies - hece MacPop can only read Dos formatted discs (because all it does is present devices on the Mac to RISC OS).

The "The disk you inserted was not recognized by this computer" message means the floppy drive won't appear in MacOS X as only media, not devices, appear.

Note that DrivePop (on a Windows VRPC) won't be able to read an Acorn format disc for similar reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:52 pm 

Aaron wrote:
Right. Instead of doing what I was supposed to be doing this afternoon I have knocked up an application called !MacPop. This is designed to make it much easier to handle external memory devices from inside VirtualRPC.

You can download a copy from the Mac Downloads page of the main VirtualAcorn website:

http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/dloadpage/varpcmac.htm

This should do what you want without the worry of messing up the main Macintosh HardDisc. Can everyone please give this a try and let me have some feedback (either positive or negative). This is beta quality so at the moment I can't guarantee that it will work under all circumstances, but I've only spent 3 hours on it :)

Thanks to Kees and Aaron for this simple way to connect to other Volumes on the Mac. I can confirm that it works fine here with all my HD, iDisk, Network drives, USB sticks, etc. One nice refinement would be to have a menu item to dismount any drive too. The command *unmount 'name of mount' works for me, but this should be in the icon menu.

Whilst you may realise this, for clarification to others, I'm sure what Kees meant when he said be careful otherwise you can mess up your Mac, was that since you have your Mac root drive mounted and accessible in RISC OS including hidden files, if you alter anything in a Mac System or Library Folder for example, it could prevent the Mac from working or booting. So best to stick to the public or shared folders.

BTW Aaron, I don't think a filter on 'Macintosh HD' would work that well since you can change that name if you wish and it could be almost anything. For instance, all my Macs have root HD names that are different. What about the 'root' name as underneath it is always the root I think.

Roy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

|I'm hoping to get some time to work on an improved version that will be able to correctly "mask" out the main Mac OS X Harddisc - Kees came up with a method of doing this which seems to work very nicely :)