www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nonlinear mouse speed
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:41 am 

I do not like the behaviour of the mouse in VRPC running on MacOS. This is because on a real RISC OS machine the mouse speed is linear. If I move the mouse by say 5 cm then the pointer on screen moves always the same distance, regardless of the speed you moved the mouse. On VRPC running on MacOS this is different and there is some mouse accelleration. On Mac OS I do not care to much - it works fine for me but inside RISC OS I always fail to hit a button and always have to correct the pointer position which makes working on RISC OS no fun. In the mean time I found a tool called USB Overdrive where you can set the mouse accelleration or switch it off. This works fine under the Mac OS desktop but within VRPC there is still a nonlinear behaviour.

So is there a way to get linear mouse behaviour inside VRPC?

Thanks,
Michael

Post subject: Re: Nonlinear mouse speed
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:29 am 
Site Admin

This might be caused by the MouseSync code. This can be disabled (as per the manual) by typing:

*configure MouseSync off

at the RISC OS command line (press F12 from the desktop). Press Return again to return to the desktop. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:43 pm 

Hm, I think turning it off makes no difference (I tried it out). I am only using full screen mode (I should have mentioned that) and there mousesync is always disabled, not?

Thanks,
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Yes, Mousesyncing should be automatically disabled when running in full screen mode, but it was possible that something was preventing this.

Anyway, as far as I can see there is no "acceleration" in the VRPC for Mac mouse handling. So I suspect that something else running on Mac OS X is the real culprit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 pm 

maikl wrote:
I do not like the behaviour of the mouse in VRPC running on MacOS. This is because on a real RISC OS machine the mouse speed is linear. If I move the mouse by say 5 cm then the pointer on screen moves always the same distance, regardless of the speed you moved the mouse. On VRPC running on MacOS this is different and there is some mouse accelleration. On Mac OS I do not care to much - it works fine for me but inside RISC OS I always fail to hit a button and always have to correct the pointer position which makes working on RISC OS no fun. In the mean time I found a tool called USB Overdrive where you can set the mouse accelleration or switch it off. This works fine under the Mac OS desktop but within VRPC there is still a nonlinear behaviour.

So is there a way to get linear mouse behaviour inside VRPC?

Thanks,
Michael

Have you tried Steermouse Michael? This is a piece of OSX shareware that allows you to set different mouse functions for different applications. I have been using it now for some time and find it ideal, but I haven't noticed the problem you have, so I'm not sure if there is a setting to change it to how you would like. You can download the software and try it as it will work for a short time before deciding if you want to keep and pay for it. It only cost me $20 so it's not a great deal.

Roy