www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mac OS 10.5.7 - don't upgrade!
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Apple have recently launched an update to mac OS X (10.5.7). I am advising users not to install this update as it can cause problems. The update not only causes problems with VirtualRPC, but with lots of other things (some Macs won't even restart after the update has been applied).

If you do install this update and then find that your VirtualRPC claims that it hasn't been registered then shutdown the Mac and restart. Then try running VirtualRPC again. It will start eventually. When you have it going just hibernate the Mac, don't shut ot down again. Can anyone then please report the problem to Apple.

For those that would like a technical reason. After the latest update some of the hardware might not be started correctly (sometimes it works, sometimes not). We are going to investigate to see what we can do to bypass the problem, but it does really need to be fixed by Apple themselves :(

Post subject: Re: Mac OS 10.5.7 - don't upgrade!
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:07 pm 

I can confirm the problem.
But with a little luck you can solve it, I have written a little script that does slighty better the repair permission routines as the standard one you can find in the diskutility program from Apple.
I tried it on 3 iMac's 2 of them are working 100% now with VA (the other has more issues apart from not asking a new unlock code)

PS
-Don't be angry but this is 90% Apple fault and 10% the check if we are not using pirated software :)
There are more user friendly ways to protect your software.

-As for the script:
copy it to a texteditor and save it as shell script. (name xxx.command)

#!/bin/sh
CLEAR
echo "Repair & Set Permissions"
echo "-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=-"
echo ""
echo "chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext"
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext
echo ""
echo "chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext"
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext
echo ""
echo "diskutil repairpermissions /"
diskutil repairpermissions /
echo ""
echo "rm /System/Library/Extensions.*"
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.*
echo ""
echo "touch /System/Library/Extensions"
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
echo ""
echo "rm -R /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches"
sudo rm -R /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches
echo ""
echo "kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/"
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/
echo ""
echo " .. done!"
echo ""
echo "For changes to take effect we need to reboot."
tput civis; read -n 1 -s -p "Do you want to do that now? [y/n]"$'\n'; tput cnorm; case $REPLY in y|Y) sudo reboot now;; n|N) echo "no.. reboot manually then";; *) echo "no.. reboot manually then";; esac

I use this script always after updating software
for one time only:

Start terminal
type:
sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext
diskutil repairpermissions /
rm /System/Library/Extensions.*
touch /System/Library/Extensions
rm -R /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

reboot your computer
the command diskutil repairpermissions / can take a few minutes

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:49 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Kees. Sorry one of your Macs still isn't working properly :( I have seen a lot of reports of problems with various machines after installing this update, in some cases the graphics card doesn't even get recognised, ouch :shock:

I will refer anyone else who has the problem to your solution.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:07 am 

It's not really a solution Aaron - it works on 2 machines (and on one of them sometimes i need to restart the computer a second time)
For the moment best is not to update and if you have update to 10.5.7:

- go back with time machine to 10.5.6 !!!!
- Ask for a new unlock code but i"m pretty sure you must keep the old one (There will be an update to 'fix' the Apple issues :) )

off topic:
tried to install VA on my brand new hackintosh core i7 (no i didn't ask for a unlock code that would be illegal) but with different setup's (iDeneb/iAtkos) VA reports different ID's
what a pity ... a superfast overclocked MacPRO for half the price but no VA to run on it :)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 am 

Kees Meijer wrote:
It's not really a solution Aaron

<snip>

(There will be an update to 'fix' the Apple issues :) )

I have to report that the permissions fix script above did not work here.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

I do know that if any Mac with the problem is restarted it will eventually correctly set up all the hardware. So, until Apple fix the mess they have caused the advice is still Don't install the 10.5.7 update under any circumstaces.

For those that have installed the update:

1. Shut down and restart the Mac.
2. Try running VirtualRPC. If it doesn't run return to step 1.
3. If VirtualRPC does now run then:
4. Don't shut down the Mac again, just hibernate it.

The 10.5.7 update can cause any item of hardware not to start properly and can cause all sorts of problems. Some users on other forums are even reporting that their Macs appear to be "bricked". So don't chance it.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Kees Meijer wrote:
tried to install VA on my brand new hackintosh core i7 (no i didn't ask for a unlock code that would be illegal) but with different setup's (iDeneb/iAtkos) VA reports different ID's
what a pity ... a superfast overclocked MacPRO for half the price but no VA to run on it :)

You can certainly move a VirtualRPC from one Mac to another (for example if you upgrade the machine). A new code will be needed, at which point we will simply ask for the user to confirm that VRPC has been un-installed from the old machine and won't be re-installed. If you want to run VirtualRPC on 2 Macs then you will need 2 copies.

So provided you had un-installed from the old Mac and weren't going to re-install we would issue a new code. If not then we wouldn't have been able to issue the code. There's nothing "Illegal" anywhere. If you do find a problem with a Hackintoch then ask me directly.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:00 pm 

I'll keep my VA on the real mac :)
On a hackintosh system the ID changes with every install method (even with the same method but slightly different options)
I'll wait for an update from a device called EFI-X will try it again -- if the ID does not change by then every time i just buy a new license (new CD with VA)
If I transfer it now I can mail you every week for a new unlock code :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

OK - I am testing a solution to the problem of VirtualRPC asking to be unlocked after users have upgraded to OS X 10.5.7 (or later). I have got a couple of customers testing the "fix" at the moment and will post again once I am sure it works.

In the meantime VRPC will work after a few attempts at re-starting the machine. Having got the machine in a state where VRPC runs, just "Sleep" the machine, don't turn it off unless you really have to.

So far it's under 20 people who have had the problem so it doesn't appear to be that widespread.

Having said this I have seen some very rude comments elsewhere about this problem. I will repeat that this is not a problem with VirtualRPC, but a bug that's been introduced in OS X 10.5.7. We have been trying to find a way round it but complaints should be addressed to Apple :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:00 pm 

Too late! I upgraded the Mac when Software update announced the upgrade to 10.5.7. I have not noticed any problems with any other Mac software or hardware. VRPC won't run after several attempts at restarting or shutting down and starting from scratch.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:31 pm 

Just upgraded to 10.5.8 and VRPC loads. I got an abort on data transfer when loading and I don't know what that was for, but it seems to be working.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Right. I've had back most of the test results and I am now happy to start rolling out the solution to the problem of VRPC popping up the registration window and refusing to start.

Anyone with the problem needs to do the following:

Email to the addres shown in the product registration window with the following details:
CD serial number (printed on the CD)
Product ID number shown by VRPC when it won't start.

I will then e-mail back the instructions.

If there is a problem and the fix doesn't work then we can investigate over the phone, but please e-mail first and only phone if there are still problems with VRPC.