www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Snow Leopard?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:35 pm 

By the way I upgraded to OS X (10.5.7) (Intel Mac Mini) before I noticed the caution in the Forum but I had no problems with VRPC or any other aspects I can recall resulting from the upgrade.

My question relates to the imminent Snow Leopard release; I would like to upgrade to that after it has been released for perhaps one month in the wild. Are there plans to ensure continuity for the upgraded OS? Obviously if a major incompatibility came to light I'd have to think carefully about the upgrade but hopefully any problems should be surmountable.
thanks for an excellent product

Post subject: Re: Snow Leopard?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

So far under 20 people seem to have had problems with VirtualRPC failing to start on OS X 10.5.7 or later. I am testing a solution for this at the moment (I am going to post on the correct thread shortly). If there are any further issues with a new Mac OS X then we will look at them as/when they arrise.

I am glad that you are pleased with VirtualRPC :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:21 pm 

On my iMac 3.06 with Snow Leopard VA does work. (on both drives - the internal upgrades as " update" with 32bit kernel extensions and the external FW800 with a so called "clean install" and the 64 bit kernel loaded)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:21 am 
Site Admin

It looks like it is a small monority of machines that do cause the problems. In all cases the problem starts when OS X 10.5.7 is installed.

I'm fairly confident that I have a work round. However I want to wait a few more days to ensure that the machines being tested behave themselves. If they do then I will be able to start sorting out machines that have gone wrong early next week.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:24 pm 

Having spent many happy hours looking into this all I have to show for that is that the order of interfaces as shown in 'ifconfig' is a diagnostic. If, and only if, the ethernet interface is shown above both firewire and airport then VRPC will start.

At all times 'networksetup -listnetworkserviceorder' shows the interfaces in the order set by the Network configuration tool.

Below is truncated output from the two commands taken when VRPC does not start, and showing the different ordering.

iMac:~ djp$ ifconfig
lo0:
gif0:
stf0:
fw0: firewire
en1: airport
en0: ethernet

iMac:~ djp$ sudo networksetup -listnetworkserviceorder
Password:
An asterisk (*) denotes that a network service is disabled.
(1) Ethernet (Hardware Port: Ethernet, Device: en0)
(2) AirPort (Hardware Port: AirPort, Device: en1)
(3) Bluetooth (Hardware Port: Bluetooth, Device: Bluetooth-Modem)
(4) FireWire (Hardware Port: FireWire, Device: fw0)

All of this may have nothing to do with anything, but it is all I know.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:49 pm 

Well VA was working under 10.5.8 but it's regressed under 10.6.1 - same as 10.5.7.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:32 am 

minijem wrote:
Well VA was working under 10.5.8 but it's regressed under 10.6.1 - same as 10.5.7.

10.5.8 was the same as 10.5.7 here though on first installing 10.5.8 VRPC did start but that was not to last.

Since installing Snow Leopard VRPC has not started at all, even after numerous reboots of the mac. I am beginning to get the impression that Snow Leopard has "fixed" the inconsistency that permitted VRPC to start occasionally.

I have tried a couple of distinctly 'unofficial' ruses, which I shall not give here, that do permit VRPC to start and the good news is that VRPC seems OK on Snow Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

VRPC certainly seems to be OK on Snow Leopard (provided it starts of course). On that subject I am waiting for the reports from the testers. I am going to be out on Tuesday, so I hope to start sorting out the machines that won't let VRPC run on Wednesday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:29 pm 

I've only had VRPC start once - at the next start-up after installing 10.6. Thereafter it has always failed to authenticate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:43 pm 

minijem wrote:
I've only had VRPC start once - at the next start-up after installing 10.6. Thereafter it has always failed to authenticate.

The fix introduced in the "10.5.7 - don't upgrade" topic has worked here, I am also on Snow Leopard. That fix should be applicable to 10.5.7, 10.5.8 and 10.6.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:33 am 

I've just installed the 10.6.1 patch and VA is working again.