www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PDF sharing VRPC/Mac desktop
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:52 pm 

The following trick may be of interest in whole or in part. Basically I managed to get the PrintOut.pdf file from the Acorn to stick to my Mac dock, so I could print to file (Acorn) then immediately process it on the Mac. With a following wind different users of the Mac can do this without falling over each other. If the Mac is singe user setup presumably would be even simpler:

( VRPC:
app is installed in /Users/Shared/VirtualAcorn/ )

There are two hard drives, the normal 'hard disk 4' plus a 'Print' hard disc pointing to (VRPC Preferences):
~/Documents/Printouts

'no types' specified for the drive

or in the config file for the relevant processor:

mount2 = "Print '~/Documents/Printouts' showext,notypes"

the ~ is a Unix trick that allows the directory to alter to 'my home /', allowing more than one person to see their prints individually. Actually I can't remember whether I used the user interface to get the ~ in or edited the config file (tut tut)...

The notypes specified no additional file type extension since the intention is to use the Mac to view the file (unlike hard drive 4 which has the types)

VRPC is set to use the PDF printer type (Taborca etc.) , connections set to file:
HostFS::Print.$.PrintOut/PDF

Mac

doc shows the file /users/<Me>/Documents/Printouts/PrintOut.pdf as an icon

each time you print (VRPC) the fresh printout-file (Mac) can be opened easily in Adobe reader etc., which I find quite useful e.g. for my nicely typeset Ovation Pro jobs.

Post subject: Re: PDF sharing VRPC/Mac desktop
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:47 am 

This seems a complicated way to me.
My method is to have a directory in VRPC called "PDFs_to_Print" with an alias on the Mac desktop. This is the destination set in Printers. Works without any problem. Its only available to one user but could be made available to other I suspect.
I have also found a way round the 3 page limit on PDF files by printing to a generic Postscript driver in VRPC and use Preview to convert it automatically before printing. I can't now remember why but there is a reason why shorter documents are better printed as PDFs though.
DaveL