www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: First impressions / ADFS HardDisc emulation
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:36 pm 

I cross-graded from VA Windows to Mac some time ago but have only now got round to setting it up.

First impressions are good - seems to work fine with Snow Leopard (10.6.1), a bit of messing around with !AutoMode in Configure was necessary to get the right screensize for my MacBook, and I've got the HostFS mounts working too.

The only hurdle so far is setting up an ADFS disc image, as I need this to install Font Directory Pro.

I had done this on the PC and followed the instructions to alter the capacity of the ADFS disc image to 189 Mb. This worked fine and Font Directory Pro and all my fonts are installed on it.

So I have done the same on the Mac. The ADFS disc image has been created, it just happens to be 189 Mb too. I have checked the relevant lines in the Model.cfg file and they are the same. I closed down VirtualAcorn, renamed the HardDisc4.hdf file to something else and copied across the HardDisc4.hdf file from the PC.

At first I thought it had worked, as VirtualAcorn booted up fine, and the disc mount appeared on the left hand side of the icon bar with the correct name (FontFS), exactly as it did in Windows.

However, when I click the disc on the icon bar, its contents are empty! Whereas on the PC, it most definitely isn't.

Have I forgotten to do something? Is there any reason why my method - simply copying the disc image file across from Windows to Mac - shouldn't work? If so, I'll have to start off with an empty disc image and install FontDirPro and all my fonts from scratch....

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Govind

Post subject: Re: First impressions / ADFS HardDisc emulation
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:47 pm 

I've spotted something - if I go to the FontFS icon on the iconbar and click menu and then click on free I get different results on the Mac and PC:

PC reports 189MB
Mac reports 47MB

But a I said earlier, the shape as specified in the models file is the same on both...

Govind

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:03 pm 

The actual HardDisc4.hdf file I want to use is 48,384 KB (according to Windows XP), or 49.5MB (according to Snow Leopard, which counts file sizes differently)

Therefore I am wondering why I have set the first number in the 'Shape' command to 384, as this would specify a disc size of 192 MB. So, I tried changing the value from 384 to 96, but that hasn't fixed it! And if I tried making the same change on the PC, VirtualAcorn would hang when starting up, so I've changed it back to 384...

Govind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Don't forget you will need to se the correct "new" size in all three Models files on the Mac (710, 7500 and SA). I suspect that you've set the size in only one of the models, and are using a different one.

I know this process works, as I used it myself to get Sibelius7 running on a Mac for a customer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:53 pm 

I did edit all three model files (710, 7500, StrongARM). Can you think of anything else it could be? From what you say, it sounds like it should work.

I don't mind starting from scratch with a blank partition as I do still have all my EFF fonts on CD and I have my FontDirPro activation key. Only problem is I bought FontDirPro online and need to re-download it - the LOOKSystems website appears to be down.

Govind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:24 pm 

Adrian Look is now back from holiday and has fixed the LOOKSystems website ;-)

Anyhow, I've ended up using EasyFontPro. Preferred the user interface of FontDirPro, but it does everything I want, without having to muck around with ADFS disc images...

Govind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Fair enough. FontDirPro has some failings - not least the use of an ancient RISC OS 2 image filing system, which Acorn told developers would be depreciated and shouldn't be used. Since you are using EasyFontPro make sure you have an iSV Products release, rather than a Fabis release. When I took over EasyFontPro (in 1998 I think) I fixed quite a number of long standing bugs.