www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ShareFS
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:18 pm 

Hi all

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this, I have the following setup:

VPRC running on Mac OS (snow leopard) - Mac has wireless connection to router
RPC - connected to router via home plug networking

On both RPC and VPRC I have shared a directory which can be seen locally by both, however they cannot see each others shares.

There is connectivity between the two as I can FTP and VNC between both.

As I can FTP the files I need across it's not a big issue, but I just can't work out why ShareFS is not working :?

David

Post subject: Re: ShareFS
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:49 am 
Site Admin

You seem to have done all the sensible things - so without seeing the setup it's difficult top guess where the fault is. So instead here is a shaort list of things that I have seen over the years that have caused this sort of problem:

A firewall on the Mac blocking some ports from the RiscPC
Machines not having the same (sub)netmask
Machines receiving IP addresses from a router - rather than having fixed addresses.

It could also be something on the HomePlug. Paul Vigay's networking guides might be helpful:

http://www.riscos.org/networking/index.html

Post subject: Re: ShareFS
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:50 pm 

ransond wrote:
Hi all

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this, I have the following setup:

VPRC running on Mac OS (snow leopard) - Mac has wireless connection to router
RPC - connected to router via home plug networking

On both RPC and VPRC I have shared a directory which can be seen locally by both, however they cannot see each others shares.

There is connectivity between the two as I can FTP and VNC between both.

As I can FTP the files I need across it's not a big issue, but I just can't work out why ShareFS is not working :?

David

I had this, everything working except for ShareFS, I reported on it on this forum, "ShareFS not working after the '10.5.7' unlock fix".

I use a wired ethernet connection on my iMac. I found that if the wired connection, en0, was the first shown in ifconfig then ShareFS would work, but otherwise it would not, obviously the iMac nearly always started up with things in the wrong order. I have a work around that involves deleting a configuration file and rebooting the machine. This is only for the brave or irresponsible. I do not know why this works or whether it would help with a wireless connection and it needs to be done every time the Mac is turned off, but if you are up for it I can post the details. In the meantime I am off the verify which file it is, it has been a while since I last did it, and that 10.6.2 has not changed anything.