www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ShareFS for a dummy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:42 pm 

Can someone please guide me through setting up ShareFS?

Nothing I have done gets it working. I have MacOS 10.6.2 on a MacBook Pro, and the latest version of VRPC (bought less than one month ago).

There is a variance between the instructions and what Aaron told me to do: Aaron said it should work straight out of the box, and I must not alter any of the networking settings in VRPC. So I re-installed VRPC but no joy.

The Iyonix is 10.0.0.101, RPC 10.0.0.102, M$PC is 10.0.0.103, and they work through the router no problem. The netmask is 255.255.255.0.

I set the MacBook to 10.0.0.127, netmask 255.255.255.0, and can ping the MacBook from the Iyonix, and the Mac (using WiFi) can ping the router (10.0.0.1) and all others in the network.

There's an application called !WimpPing in VRPC, but it fails saying it can't create a socket.

I used !AccessSet to share the root HardDisc4 named "VRPC", and it appears in the ShareFS folder on VRPC, but nowhere else. The RPC and Iyonix can see each other obviously.

Normally Serial/PPP is switched off, but I've also tried it switched on and manually setting VRPC to 10.0.0.127.

I've spent hours on this now and am getting rather frustrated: I can't see the point of having VRPC if I can't install applications on it.

Can anyone advise what to try next?

Post subject: Re: ShareFS for a dummy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:48 pm 

Oh, by the way, the Firewall on the Mac is switched off.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:00 pm 

Ah! If I plug in a network cable, ShareFS works!

Has anyone successfully got ShareFS working using wireless?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:05 pm 

Kell Gatherer wrote:
Has anyone successfully got ShareFS working using wireless?

Yes Kell, my ShareFS works fine via wireless, or cable. Sorry for the delay in answering but I don't often check the forum these days, so this is the first time I have looked in for weeks. Did you get yours working?

I have an Intel Mac Mini running the latest Snow Leopard as my main computer with a gigabit wired connection to a Time Capsule. The TC is connected to my router, is my Wii base, backup HD and printer server. I have an old PPC iBook running Leopard 10.4.11 which is usually connected to my network via wireless but as that is only the older slower rate, I sometimes connect it directly by cable to speed up things like backing up. I have a copy of VRPC on both and can connect using ShareFS either via wireless or cable depending on how the Mac is connected. As long as the Mac connects, so does VRPC. One beauty of the system is that I can even print from VRPC on the iBook to my Deskjet attached to the TC, directly using wireless.

Since I have had my set up running successfully for so long, I can't really remember now if I did anything special regarding networking, but I don't think so. However, my system always worked well from day 1 with beta 1, and then they changed the system with beta 2 and 3 and mine stopped working, so I stayed with beta 1. Initially with the final release, mine still did not work as it was based on the beta software which did not work for me. Finally they released a new version of the internet bundle and I could connect again. It was not as good as under beta 1, but apparently others could not get networking working under the original system, so this was the best compromise.

If you wish to go through things step by step perhaps we should take it to private email first?

Roy