www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: VRPC failing to run
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:30 pm 

I have been using VRPC for a few years and now use it on Snow Leopard without problems but now it refuses to run leaving me with a black screen until told to shut down and start again. The only thing I have done which may be relevant is replacing the monitor with a wide screen model. I reset the screen mode and it worked fine, then, but now, the first time I've run it since it fails to run at all.

Mac OSx 10.6.5
Risc OS 4.39
New monitor 1600x900

Anyone got any ideas?

Dave L

Post subject: Re: VRPC failing to run
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

That's not a problem I am familiar with :(

If you still have the old monitor available, then try re-connecting it to the Mac and then see if VirtualRPC runs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:15 pm 

Aaron wrote:
That's not a problem I am familiar with :(

If you still have the old monitor available, then try re-connecting it to the Mac and then see if VirtualRPC runs.

I did think of that but have now overcome the problem by reinstalling VRPC. I have taken the precaution of booting it into a window instead of full screen in the hope I can recover it quicker if it should happen again.

I recovered VRPC from Time Machine from the day before I bought the new monitor but it failed to run too, and I failed to find any evidence of corrupted files or anything else that may explain this problem. As there was no mention of anything like it on the forum, I assume an upgrade is not the problem.

Dave L

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Without a lot more information it's not possible for me to suggest why it didn't work. I am pleased that a re-install has solved the problem and that the VirtualRPC is now working again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:45 pm 

Aaron wrote:
Without a lot more information it's not possible for me to suggest why it didn't work. I am pleased that a re-install has solved the problem and that the VirtualRPC is now working again.

Thank Aaron, if it should happen again I'll contact you direct so you can let me know what infomation is required to get to the bottom of this, lets hope its a "one off".
Dave L

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

I've had another customer with a similar problem. Again a re-install "fixed" the fault. However when setting VirtualRPC to start in full screen mode the problem appeared again. Since a "new" VirtualRPC install automatically runs in a window this may have been why re-installing fixed the problem.

So, if anyone else experiences this fault it may be worth trying to alter the StartInFullScreen setting in the va.cfg file to 0 (a value of 1 means start in full screen, a value of zero means start in a window).

To get to the va.cfg, file right click on the VirtualRPC application (in your applications folder) and click on Show Contents. (this is similar to SHIFT double click on a RISC OS application). Navigate down through the Contents folder to find the va.cfg file. The file should only be edited in a text editor and will need to ba saved back with the same filename.