www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: File transfer from RPC to VRPC
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:23 pm 

I would like to be able to transfer files from a Risc PC to VRPC, running on a MBP 10.6.7.

So far I cannot get FTPc to contact the MBP as it stands, although a PowerBook running 10.4.11 works fine. The MBP name is Peter Q Blackburn (3). Would the parentheses cause problems with Risc OS? I can't enter them in the host config panel. I don't know why the MBP has done this, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. FTP in the file sharing pane of System Prefs shows the IP that I use for my usual home net work connection to a router, so not the same as the IP when connecting to the RPC.

If I could get the files into the VRPC it would be more convenient, so I wonder if I can do this.

I guess I would configure the MBP to a local IP and connect with ethernet, then use FTPc on either the RPC or VRPC to make the transfer. Does this sound right. Has anybody done it?

Any tips welcome.

TIA
--
pqb

Post subject: Re: File transfer from RPC to VRPC
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:46 am 
Site Admin

If you want to transfer files then perhaps ShareFS (Acorn Access) would be easier?

The 'name' of the MacBookPro is likely to cause problems. Temporarily give it a simple name with 8 characters or less. Also ensure that the MacBook Pro and the RiscPC can ping each other, that both machines have IP addresses in the same range and also that the netmask is set the same on both. One final thing to try would be to put FTPC into 'Passive' mode. If that doesn't help then it might be worth sending an e-mail to the author of FTPc.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:08 am 

I'll give all this a try.

Thanks.
--
pqb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:51 pm 

I have discovered the answer.

For some reason FTPc records the login name in its users' file wrongly.

Here is the correct entry format. Comments on what to put in each field are shown between <>.

name="<a convenient name which will show in the menu on the icon bar when menu is clicked>" value="ftp://<Mac user's login name>:<password>@<local IP address>//Users/<user login name>/"

The last part after the // gives the pathname that FTPc will display in its window, so you can add further subdirectories to it if you like.

HTH

Peter