www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: iMAC numeric keypad puzzle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:13 am 

A few days ago swapping the Australian flag at the top right of the iMAC screen for the German one I set the iMAC up for my wife to write a letter on the iMAC to her mother in German. When I returned to Australia the numeric keypad had stopped working. There is insufficient help with OS X to fix it. To my amazement and delight when I went into VRPC to make my accounts up to date with Personal Accounts and Eureka I found the keypad to be working! I am using a standard wired apple keyboard with wired usb connection. When I returned to OS X the keypad was still out of service. I hate OS X. I am currently doing most of my stuff including connecting to the Internet by dial-up modem (which the iMAC currently refuses to do) on a five year old PC with Puppy Linux which with the Rox filer behaves much more like RISC OS.

Post subject: Re: iMAC numeric keypad puzzle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:28 pm 

We get the same symptoms with Windows. The numeric keyboards work under VirtualRPC but not under Windows (seemingly by default).

However, on PC keyboards, pressing a key called 'Num Lock' (or something similar) activates the numeric keypad.

Any good? If not, the iMac thread on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/32 ... 0&tstart=0 may assist. HTH.

Mike Nicholl
pp T.O.M.S.

Post subject: Re: iMAC numeric keypad puzzle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:03 am 

Thanks Mike,
it certainly took a while to find it but OS X had decided to annoy me by switching on Mouse Keys. The operating system has a malicious mind of its own.

Going to System Preferences > Mouse > Mouse Keys > Off

turned the numeric keypad back on in OS X.