www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Caps Lock doesn't work.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 am 

Running VirtualAcorn on MacOS 19.7.4

Caps Lock problem: It doesn't usually work, and when it does, gets stuck on caps lock, regardless of Shift Key. Can usually be returned to normal by repeated operation of shift and caps lock.

Tried to find va.cfg in case an entry could be modified to cure above !- it is nowhere to be found

Post subject: Re: Caps Lock doesn't work.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:24 am 

HTDesign wrote:
Running VirtualAcorn on MacOS 19.7.4

I assume you mean 10.7.4 which I think is the latest version of Lion.

Quote:
Caps Lock problem: It doesn't usually work, and when it does, gets stuck on caps lock, regardless of Shift Key. Can usually be returned to normal by repeated operation of shift and caps lock.

This 'Caps lock' problem has been around for quite some time and is not a Lion and VRPC setting or fault. I still use Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and it happens and it was there when I used Leopard (10.5.x) before. If I use 'Caps lock' in VRPC it will stick on Capitals even if you hit 'Caps lock' a second time to revert to lower case. I found that if you use 'Cntrl-Caps lock' to change and the same to change back, it usually works as it should. Of course if you hit 'Caps lock' by accident or mistake, then getting out of capitals is more difficult! After removing 'Caps lock' try using 'Cntl-Caps lock' twice to get out. I found that usually works.

Roy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:52 pm 

Thanks to Roy for the reply. I always use VRPC in a widow, to make best use of Macbook with second screen attached. But I have noticed that the caps lock problem was not present in full screen mode.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:13 am 
Site Admin

There are several examples of the need to hold down CTRL to access some keyboard/mouse operations when running VirtualRPC in a window. For example it's necessary for the user to hold down CTRL and click the centre of the mouse to access a RISC OS menu. When running in full screen the CTRL key is not needed.