www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Yosemite
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:55 pm 

Has anybody dared to upgrade yet? Did it work?

Post subject: Re: Yosemite
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:04 pm 

yes, I did and it seems to work without any problem (1.6.6, Risc OS 4.39).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:28 pm 

[quote="tgh"]Has anybody dared to upgrade yet? Did it work?[/quote]

Two machines so far:

1. Yos on A 2008 Mac-Pro with VRPC 1.6.6. This fails with the error message of "File &.!BOOT not found". I have started the process of Upgrading VRPC (to what version I do not know).

2. Yos on Mac Air 2010 with VRPC 1.7.0: entirely OK.

I am now waiting to try out the third machine:

3. Mavericks on Mac-Pro 2013 with VRPC 1.7.0. From the above, it might well work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:16 pm 

Tim

I dunno if it's the same for Macs but, under Windows - and if the "File &.!BOOT not found" error comes up during RISC OS start-up - that usually means the CMOS file is corrupt.

If it sounds the same, the notes we put on page 40 of our 'VirtualRPC In Use' *Supplements* booklet (Supp 10) may assist. It's at the bottom of the page on http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/support/v ... /index.htm HTH!

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:19 am 

[quote="T.O.M.S."]Tim

I dunno if it's the same for Macs but, under Windows - and if the "File &.!BOOT not found" error comes up during RISC OS start-up - that usually means the CMOS file is corrupt.

If it sounds the same, the notes we put on page 40 of our 'VirtualRPC In Use' *Supplements* booklet (Supp 10) may assist. It's at the bottom of the page on http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/support/v ... /index.htm HTH!

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.[/quote]

Thanks for that and I have found the cmos.ram file inside the VirtualRPC application by doing Show Package Contents.

I should then use this file to replace the corrupt one. But I simply cannot find where that is. Can you help, please?

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:54 pm 

Hi Tim

The complication is that, as you are running RISC OS v4.39 (for Macs), the package supports 3 different ARM core emulations - ARM710, ARM7500 and StrongARM. Each one has its own CMOS file so, so there are - er - 3 in all.

To save having to rummage inside the package, can I suggest you load the master CD and, when it opens, look for the icon saying something like 'VirtualRPC-AdjustSA Utilities including CMOS restore ...'.

Run that, then run the 'Restore the CMOS.RAM files for an existing VirtualRPC-AdjusSA' option.

That will 'repair' your (presumably) corrupt CMOS file but, in so doing, will overwrite *all 3* CMOS files.

When you start up VirtualRPC, using your chosen ARM core emulation, RISC OS should now start up OK (assuming that the CMOS file was the culprit). However, it will start up in its default condition, so you may need to reconfigure it as preferred (RAM and so on).

It's many years since I did this so apologies in advance if the detail isn't quite right. If you still have problems, please drop a line to admin at toms12 dot plus dot com with as much detail as you can and we'll take it from there. We will not be beaten...

Alex
pp T.O.M.S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:50 pm 

[quote="T.O.M.S."]Hi Tim

The complication is that, as you are running RISC OS v4.39 (for Macs), the package supports 3 different ARM core emulations - ARM710, ARM7500 and StrongARM. Each one has its own CMOS file so, so there are - er - 3 in all.

To save having to rummage inside the package, can I suggest you load the master CD and, when it opens, look for the icon saying something like 'VirtualRPC-AdjustSA Utilities including CMOS restore ...'.

Run that, then run the 'Restore the CMOS.RAM files for an existing VirtualRPC-AdjusSA' option.

That will 'repair' your (presumably) corrupt CMOS file but, in so doing, will overwrite *all 3* CMOS files.

When you start up VirtualRPC, using your chosen ARM core emulation, RISC OS should now start up OK (assuming that the CMOS file was the culprit). However, it will start up in its default condition, so you may need to reconfigure it as preferred (RAM and so on).

It's many years since I did this so apologies in advance if the detail isn't quite right. If you still have problems, please drop a line to admin at toms12 dot plus dot com with as much detail as you can and we'll take it from there. We will not be beaten...

Alex
pp T.O.M.S.[/quote]

I've been away for a couple of days.

Many thanks for this further offer of help. I have found the master VRPC disc, could get no further so have resorted to e-mail.Tim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:56 am 

<snip advice from TOMS>

I've now cracked it with extensive help from TOMS.

The answer was to Open the contents of the VirtualAcorn.app and then find the Models folder within Resources. Then, eventually after extensive checking, I copied the Contents of Models from another working VARPC. There were several issues I ignored:
1. The version number of the VRPC programs were different.
2. The MAC OSes were also different.

But this file copy worked and I now have VRPC going again on my, by RISC OS standards, fairly new 2008 Mac.

Many thanks to Jeff for his time and large trouble in dealing with this.

And I've now dared to upgrade the modern Mac to Yosemite and my life-critical VRPC works well there too, albeit with an additional error message on startup; some module does not like something, but no harm seems to result.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:14 am 

Yes, and it works ok, but I still have the old problems:

1 Nasty noises at start up.

2 Caps lock key doesn???t work properly.

3 Control+Arrow key doesn???t function at all.

4 F12 doesn???t work.

5 HostFs mounts don???t work if memory in config file set to 160Mb or more.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:46 pm 

My iMac certainly makes a rude noise as VRPC starts up.

Caps Lock seems OK and HostFS mounts seem OK with 256MB RAM, though both only briefly tested it must be said.

OS X does a good job of hoovering up keystrokes before RISC OS gets a look in. Mission Control grabs CTRL-arrows.

F12 can be persuaded to work, as fn-F12, by disabling "Show Dashboard" in Keyboard Shortcuts.

(In case it is relevant I am using the bluetooth (short) keyboard.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:28 am 

I have now seen the 256MB RAM HostFS bug, it occurred on attempting to create a HostFS mount to the iMac's Download folder, reducing the RAM set in model.cfg to 128MB or 64MB cleared it.

Code:
Internal error: abort on data transfer at &0391E544
*where
Address 0391E544 is at offset 0001AD78 in module WindowManager

I can also reproduce the bug on a Windows VRPC HostFS mount to the same iMac folder over the LAN.

On the iMac RPCEmu OS4.39 with 256MB RAM stiffed on attempting to open a symlink to that folder but succeeded when the RAM was reduced.

VRPC softloading OS6.06 is fine at 256MB.