www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Printing from BASIC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:42 pm 

Hi
Is it possible, or has anyone succeeded in printing from BASIC?
Was wondering if you could spool your output directly to the HOSTFS::printer destination. Having problems remembering BASIC but it's been around 10 years since I did anything like this.
Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

You can certainly print from BASIC with no problems, provided you use the RISC OS printer drivers. However I think you mean can you print from single tasking BASIC programs (as opposed to multi-tasking ones). In which case not really - you would be better spooling output to a file then processing it in the desktop. There used to be a utility program that let you generate draw files from BASIC (it might have been !Draw-Aid) but I can't remember properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:21 pm 

Thanks Aaron
Yes you're right. It's a single tasking BASIC application I wrote several years ago. The program is still running on an old A3010 linked to a dot matrix printer and was hoping I could connect the printer up and do away with the A3010 without a major re-write to the code.
I have managed to send data from BASIC (single tasking) to the HOSTFS::printer path and it appears in the Windows print queue but just hangs there-I guess Windows driver is interfering with the data.
:?
I will try again!