www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Change FSI Problem
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:35 am 

I am asking this on behalf of a friend.

He uses a Genealogy program called Ancestor+ on a RiscPC which produces Sprites for images.

Owing to size and storage problems he now also runs VA5000 on a PC.

Ancestor+ runs fine via VA5000 except when he tries to save an HTML file - changeFSI comes up with some file is not found.

The version supplied with VA5000 does NOT appear to have a Save as JPEG option and a later version when loaded onto VA5000 gives the error SWI Name not Known.

Any ideas?

Geoff Lane

Post subject: ChangFSI problem
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:30 pm 

I can't help with the main problem but I can supply some information on ChangeFSI. The version of ChangeFSI supplied with Virtual Acorn probably originated from the version developed for RiscOS 3.0, 3.1 and 3.11. This version never had support for JPEG saving.

Later versions of ChangeFSI were supplied for RiscOS 3.5 and designed to run on RiscPCs. These versions have JPEG save support but will not run on earlier versions on RiscOS as this lacks the SWI codes required - hence the error message.

In my experience, there is little or nothing that can be done to persuade later versions of ChangeFSI work on earlier versions of RiscOS and as Virtual A5000 uses RiscOS 3.11, the problem at first seems insurmountable.

However, it is a long time since I tried - and I have not tried running the later versions of the colourtrans or sprite rendering modules on RiscOS 3.11...these may work and provide the SWI codes...I am guessing that they won't, has anyone tried recently? The modules in the ToolBox in !System are worth a look...

If you can get Red Squirrel to work as a RiscPC, then the later version of ChangeFSI should work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:36 am 

Just checking back through old posts and this one sparked something in the memory banks. Didn't... Justin Fletcher? write some sort of hack that might enable this. A couple of modules to set up dummy dynamic areas so that later versions of SpriteExtend would work. I seem to remember the point was to get JPEG support into 3.1.

Tim