www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Laptop screen display
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:49 am 

I have an HP Pavillion laptop with wide screen display. Just updated the video drivers for it and now the VA1.4 screen display is expanded to 1400x900 when I use it full screen. There is an option on the screen driver set up to either expand to whole of panel or to maintain screen ratios and VA seems to ignore this. All the other programs (eg World of Warcraft) will maintain the ratios. VA used to maintain the ratios with the old driver so I tried putting the old one back but is still get the odd, distorted screen display. I dont really want to have to do it, but do I have to reinstall VA whenever I change the video drivers?
Thanks for your help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:54 am 
Site Admin

It might be worth messing with the Hardware Scale and Allow Windows to Change Mode options before re-installing. Although I doubt a re-install would help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:45 am 

OK, this is getting a bit strange.
1. I have found that if I disable hardware scaling I get a small screen (1024 x768) with a big black border.
2. If I enable hardware scaling and change the laptop screen resolution to match VAs screen resolution before starting VA:
a. If I start VA in full screen mode it ignores the fact that the laptop display is set to 1024 x 768 and expands the display up to 1440 x 900, making the text distorted.
b. If I start VA in windowed mode then switch to full screen once the boot sequence is underway, the screen display is expanded to the maximum size available whilst still preserving the ratios, which is what I used to be able to do before I upgraded the video drivers. This gives a non-distorted display with two small black borders down each side.
Fortunately there is an ATI utility that allows you to change resolutions on the fly with specific apps, so the working setup is only one more mouse click than it used to be!
I am happy that I've got it working again, just puzzled why it now takes a slightly convoluted method to achieve it! Was I just very lucky to have done this before?
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

The problem is that you can never tell what new features have been added to graphics card drivers, or what other old features have had their facilities "improved". I think you were unlucky this time. When another new driver comes out try that instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:56 pm 

Thanks... I thought it was probably something like that..
Main thing is that it works and thats enough for me.