www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Game discs with VA 1.4 and window switching
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:08 am 

Hi!

First of all I have to say that version 1.4 is great, especially the direct disc access.
BUT:
I have a couple of game discs with copy protection (all of the 4th Dimension games, Guile, Warlocks...) and tried to run them under VA5000.
The only thing the program does is crashing. I just need to start one of the programs and my emulator is closed. What's the problem?

The second problem I have is the following:
I start VA in windowed mode and use'em a little bit (e.g. insert a discimage and open it). Now I change to any other running program in Windows and do some things. After changing back to VA I try to rename the discimage. The problem is that the chars a something other, but not the ones I typed in. Any idea?

Best regards

Wocki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have a couple of game discs with copy protection (all of the 4th Dimension games, Guile, Warlocks...) and tried to run them under VA5000.
The only thing the program does is crashing. I just need to start one of the programs and my emulator is closed. What's the problem?

Not sure - have you tried running them without executing
the RISC OS !Boot sequence? Does this make any difference?

Quote:
I start VA in windowed mode and use'em a little bit (e.g. insert a discimage and open it). Now I change to any other running program in Windows and do some things. After changing back to VA I try to rename the discimage. The problem is that the chars a something other, but not the ones I typed in. Any idea?

I haven't had any reports of this before? You do have the
VirtualAcorn keydriver in the !Boot sequence don't you?
Its called VirtualUK and will be in predesk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:27 pm 

I've not got any of these games disks. Most of the games I do have seem to work OK on one or other of my machines. There are some old protection schemes which will not work on VA (or even an A5000 come to that) but I doubt that is causing your problems. In any event the emulator shouldn't crash.

Graeme

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:33 pm 

Hi Aaron,

it took a while for me to test again. Sorry for that, I'm a bit busy at the moment. Here are the results:

Quote:
Not sure - have you tried running them without executing
the RISC OS !Boot sequence? Does this make any difference?

Yes, I've tried it by changing the HostFS option in the model.cfg to 'bootopt=0'. After that I had a pure RO3.1 screen. But the problem was the same. Graeme send me some hints and I tested them with Dropship, but the problem was always the same.

Quote:
I haven't had any reports of this before? You do have the
VirtualAcorn keydriver in the !Boot sequence don't you?
Its called VirtualUK and will be in predesk.

Yep, the !Boot sequence got that driver. The problem is just easier to see:
I start VA. After finishing startup I middleclick on the screenicon to manually input a screenmode (e.g. 12). Everything works fine. Now I change the programwindow by using Alt-Tab. After coming back to VA with Alt-Tab I want to do the same again but I can't do any input. The textcursor in the modeinputfield is frozen so I only can change screenmodes with the mouse.

I use WinXP SP1 and an updated VA5000 (from 1.0->1.1->1.2->1.3->1.4) with all available patches.

I don't know what my problem could be, but the PC works fine (at the moment :-)).

Bye

Wocki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:47 am 

Quote:
After coming back to VA with Alt-Tab I want to do the same again but I can't do any input. The textcursor in the modeinputfield is frozen so I only can change screenmodes with the mouse.

This is a known problem (to me anyway) and I'm looking to fix it for the next release/patch.

Graeme