www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advise needed for new processor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:29 pm 

Hi.
I'm wanting to upgrade the processor on my pc to one that will run VA as fast as possible. Looking in FAQ page it seems to indicate a E6600 core 2 duo is the best one to install. Is this processor still the best or have things moved on.
Regards
John Vann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

Any Intel Core 2 Duo processor will provide good results. If the main concern is running VRPC then clock speed is probably more important than L2 cache size. As such the E4500 is also a good bet (plus it can be easily overclocked to 3Ghz) and it's very cheap.
Currently Quad Core CPUs offer little real world advantage over dual core ones.
As a final word don't buy any AMD processor. The Intel Core 2 series is far superior (in my opinion).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:36 pm 

We have a couple of machines each running an E6600 Core2Duo (2.4GHz) and are delighted with them in all respects.
If you have access to Archive mag, you might like to have a look at the article in Vol 20 No. 8 (p9) which includes performance data directly comparing the E6600 with a couple of Pentium 4 machines (2.66 and 3.06GHz), plus Iyonix and various RiscPCs.
Or I can send you a copy of the article in PDF format. (That goes for anyone else; please email us on toms@ndirect.co.uk if you want a copy.)
Since the article was written, we've installed 1920x1200 pixel monitors which can be run under VirtualRPC in 16M colours by using the ARM7500 processor option of either VirtualRPC-SA or VirtualRPC-AdjustSA (which supports up to 16MB screen memory). Unlike the earlier P4 processors, there is no noticeable video performance hit when running these high-res monitors.
HTH
Jim Nottingham
T.O.M.S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:43 pm 

Just to report back.
E6600 CoreDuo now installed and running VirtualRPC-Adjust ok.
Thanks for all the help.
JV