www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Failure of Set/OK commands
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:47 pm 

I am unable to lock files because when I select lock and click on OK the selection reverts to unlocked.

I am also unable to set the clock to European time because when I increase the time by one hour and click on Set, the time on the clock does not change.

Any comments?

Gerald :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:31 am 

The reason for the file permissions remaining unchanged is that the HostFS filing system does support changing the actual file permissions under Windows. It should be easy to fix this (it requires an amendment by the author).

However, the clock problem is a little more complicated. The reason is basically the same. The emulator must provide some kind of interface from the RISC OS side of things to the PC side. AFAIK, these things are memory mapped which means RISC OS at a low level, writes values to specially mapped areas of memory to change the clock. I haven't a clue where the clock would be mapped into memory, or that it is even constant between machine boots. The net result of this (if I'm right - I'm not even sure of that) is that it becomes very difficult to provide this function in an emulator. And for something as simple as this, I doubt it's worth the time putting it in. Besides, the clock functions under Windows aren't all that hard are they? :)

Post subject: Failure of Set/OK commands
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:00 pm 

The clock setup works fine under Windows and gives the correct European time.

Once in Risc OS, it reverts to British time. Exiting VA, it once again gives the correct European time under Windows.

Maybe you could find out where Windows stores the clock setting and make VA use that data.

Gerald

Post subject: Failure of Set/OK commanda
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:59 pm 

hydroxides wrote:

However, the clock problem is a little more complicated. The reason is basically the same. The emulator must provide some kind of interface from the RISC OS side of things to the PC side. AFAIK, these things are memory mapped which means RISC OS at a low level, writes values to specially mapped areas of memory to change the clock. I haven't a clue where the clock would be mapped into memory, or that it is even constant between machine boots. The net result of this (if I'm right - I'm not even sure of that) is that it becomes very difficult to provide this function in an emulator. And for something as simple as this, I doubt it's worth the time putting it in. Besides, the clock functions under Windows aren't all that hard are they? :)

I believe that on a real A5000 the clock settings are stored in CMOS. I presume that VA has a way of emulating CMOS, so I would expect to find the clock settings there.

Gerald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:59 pm 

Windows has no concept of locking afaics so it isn't implemented. It's pretty much a filecore specific option anyway.

As for the time. RISC OS reads it from CMOS at startup. When the time registers are read from the CMOS chip the values are generated from the windows time (in UTC if I remember properly). RISC OS should convert this to whichever timezone/daylight saving you have configured.

Graeme

Post subject: failure of Set/OK commands
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:12 pm 

Apparently, the conversion from Windows time to RiscOs time is imperfect.

In Europe, we are at GMT+2, and I have configured Windows XP to display it. In VA, the time is reset automatically to GMT+1, and the only way to get it to agree with Windows time is to click on BST.

The works for now, but what will happen later when summertime comes?

Gerald

Post subject: A bit round about, but never mind
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:44 pm 

You could try setting your PC clock to GMT time zone, but giving it your time ie, if gmt is 9:00, and u are GMT + 1, you would set your GMT to 10:00 (would have to disable Auto Sync)

then A5000 should pick up the correct time.

if this doesn't work it's becuase i'm not at my VA5000 machine on XP, so i can't test!