www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Return key problem
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:35 pm 

Hi,
I had a problem with the Return/Enter key not working in Virtual Acorn. I've solved the problem (with help from Aaron) so here's what happened in case anyone else meets this, or similar, puzzle.
It turned out that a Windows programme, Phrase Express in this case, was monitoring the keyboard buffer.
Phrase Express is a really good macro/form filling programme - the only one that comes anywhere near similar apps I've used in RiscOS.

http://www.phraseexpress.com/ There is a FREE version

I eventually found how I can turn off the offending part of the programme through:-

Settings -> Tools -> Settings -> Expert Options -> Route Enter & tab keys
through Phrase Express (Untick & all is well)

Hope this adds to the sum of human knowledge.

Regards,

Post subject: Re: Return key problem
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks very much for posting the solution to this problem.

Post subject: Re: Return key problem
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:39 pm 

Further to the above natter about using Phrase Express under Windows, we've used it for some years and really like it as a neat and useful time-saver.

However, we've realised it's probably best to treat it as a poor-man's 'Keystroke for Windows' in that - just like Keystroke for RISC OS - you have to be a bit canny on your choice of hot-keys. For example, if you choose (say), <Ctrl-Shift-B> to auto-enter a text string, this can easily clash with any other Windows application which also uses the same hot-key combo.

Worse still, anything in the keyboard buffer can and will affect RISC OS applications running under VirtualRPC (whether running full-screen or in a window). So taking the same hot-key combo of <Ctrl-Shift-B> as an example, that will screw up Ovation Pro which also uses <Ctrl-Shift-B> to select Bold font face.

This may also go to explain why - if you leave a document window open in RISC OS and then minimise VirtualRPC - the said document can be corrupted and spoil your day (see pp56-57 of the 'VirtualRPC In Use' booklet). [Since the booklet was published, we received a very detailed techie explanation why open documents in a minimised VirtualRPC cannot be corrupted in this way. The trouble is, in practice, they can be...]

HTH,

Mike Nicholl
pp T.O.M.S.