www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Problems with ShareFS with RO-Select 4.37 on VRPC-SE
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:20 am 

Hi,

I sent the following e-mail a few days ago to VirtualAcorn Support, but got no reply as yet. As it is a serious problem for me while trying to transfer files smoothly to VRPC-SE, I post it again in this forum:

After having played around a bit with my new VRPC-SE, I went to a clean install of RiscOS
Select 4.37. All seemed fine, except that ShareFS is giving problems.
It worked fine with RO 4.02 after having run the !AccessNet program and having shared the "Public" folder. I could easily communicate with my RiscPC on my home network.

After having installed Select, however, clicking the option "show discs" gives the error message: "there are no shared discs available at the moment". In reality these are available, because I have set the share
option for the directory "Public" using the folder menu option
(Share...) as available with RO Select. At the same time that folder appears as shared (green "S" symbol) on my RiscPC. But when I click on that icon on my RPC, I get a time-out "The machine containing the shared
disc does not respond".

And It is NOT the ZoneAlarm firewall kicking in, because I have adjusted it's settings to allow communication with my RiscPC. If I switch ZoneAlarm off, the problem persists.

When I return to RO 4.02 via the softload configure option, ShareFS works OK again!

Further (related?), I found that the supplied !AccessNet program does not work with Select, because it tries to access and write the "AccessNet" obey file directly (hardcoded) into
!Boot.Choices.Boot.Tasks
which does not exist anymore as such with Select. This location of "Choices:" is depreciated. It should access <Choices$Write> instead, which for most single users points to: HostFS::HardDisc4.$.!BOOT.Choices.Users.Single.
When I create the folder "!Boot.Choices.Boot.Tasks" manually, the program works again, but of course without any effect as Select does not look there.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Frits Polak
[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:04 am 

I had the same problems as you did.

I did a
*inetstat -a
on my Iyonix and found out it listened on ports freeway1 (32770/udp), freeway2 (32771/udp) and sharefs (49171/udp).

On VRPC I did a
C:\>netstat -a
and found out that it didn't listen to the sharefs port, but it did for the other two. That made sense, because
*fwshow
seemed to show the other machines on the net, but sharefs itself didn't work.

I'm not sure why this is, maybe because of the rebooting, and therefore VRPC is still listening to the sharefs port, while resetting and thus not allowing the Select romimage access to listen on this port? I don't know. Anyway, I did find out that an obey file in the PreDesk with the contents:

RMReInit ShareFS

did the trick.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jan-Jaap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:05 pm 

For now, under select, you will need to rmreinit ShareFS before the desktop starts. This is a module boot order issue which has long been present in RISC OS and is generally fixed by an obey file unloading the network stack and reloading it again in the correct order.

Graeme

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:20 pm 

[quote="Graeme"]For now, under select, you will need to rmreinit ShareFS before the desktop starts. This is a module boot order issue which has long been present in RISC OS and is generally fixed by an obey file unloading the network stack and reloading it again in the correct order.

Graeme[/quote]

Thanks Graeme,

I tried and this works just fine!
Now I can use the latest ShareFS 3.87 from Select without problems.

Cheers,
Frits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

For anyone who has the same problem as Frits a small upgrade is now available from the downloads section of the VirtualAcorn website that will kick ShareFS into life when running RISC OS Select.