www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP!! I'm locked out...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:02 pm 

I upgraded my Pc a few days ago & now V-RPC won't run.
-Requesting unlock code which it now claims to be invalid.

Oh well, the MANY times it has done this before were because of changes to my NIC setup. Very frustrating, as any changes -even trivial ones- lock me out completely. My Pc spends its life on lots of different networks so this is a regular annoyance. :evil:

Ho hum, did the usual: uninstall/reinstall - AGAIN!! :twisted:
-Bu**er. Still the same.
Force XP to uninstall/reinstall NIC + associated drivers/software - V. time consuming.
-D*mn!!! Still the same.

Pleeease HELP.

I know it is only fair that software sould be copy protected, but really....

V-RPC is a hell of alot of money for what is 'only an emulator'. The PC platform has sadly got me used to buggy software, but I do take exeption to handing over good money for something that is deliberately broken.
:evil:

Ranting aside, I must have thought it worth the asking price: But now I can't use it at all!!

Please Please Please ( I know this is getting like Points of View ) bring out an upgrade that uses a less annoying/draconian copy protection system.
ie: 'PLEASE PUT THE ORIGIONAL CD IN ANY DRIVE' after installation or system changes works for most.

Now I've got that off my chest any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:25 pm 

Oops
'Just had another look to see if there is a reply yet & having calmed down a little, maybe a touch rude - Sorry.

Still, can anyone help? - V.v. Frustrating situation...

& for the future my No: 1 request would be for a different copy protection scheme, such as the suggeston above.

Again, thanks in advance... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:10 am 

I agree on the draconian protection. My VRPC on my Alpha stopped running when I added a second ethernet interface (the PCMCIA wireless card). However, it was not the additional hardware which VRPC baulked at - it was the software configuration! XP appears to have a propensity for adding a software bridge as soon as you add an additional interface - and it was this software bridge which upset VRPC. Come on guys, do you expect us to buy another copy of VRPC everytime we make the slightest change to our s/w or h/w configuration?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:30 am 

I appologies for the problems you're having, please contact Virtual Acorn at the usual number/email address. The office is closed over xmas but email will almost certainly be checked and replied to.

Tying the software to a particular machine is a licensing condition imposed on us, we're looking at more robust licensing schemes but it'll be a while before they are introduced.

Graeme

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

If you do get a problem then contact us. I have been issuing codes all
over Xmas and if something does change then I can sort it out quite quickly even though we are closed.

Post subject: Thankyou
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:38 pm 

Anyone who has looked at postings here will have noticed that I'm not a fan of the copy protection V-RPC uses. Still, I understand alternate methods are being looked into.
Non-the-less I do want to say that it is a very good product & I'm glad to see development is continuing apace.

Most importantly of all Aaron etc have been very helpful getting me going again & I want to express my thanks to them. :D

Charlie.