www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: No pinboard sprite?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:09 pm 

A feature of my copy of VRPC is that it won't display a background sprite on the pinboard. Regardless of whether I use the !Boot application, or drop a sprite onto the pinboard (and then use the menu), I can't get anything to display.

It will show a JPEG if I drag that to the !Boot application, but that seems to slow everything down.

It seems to me that only the top left pixel of the sprite is actually showing, i.e. the pinboard will change colour each time.

I'm wondering if this is an obscure memory problem: my copy of PhotoDesk still does not work properly in VRPC. The illustration in the opening banner does not display when PhotoDesk is run.

Does anyone recognise this problem, and can anyone suggest a solution?

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

It might be a faulty sprite, e-mail me a copy and I will check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:48 am 

Aaron wrote:
It might be a faulty sprite, e-mail me a copy and I will check.

Frayed knot: it's true of any sprite I try, and true of the "standard" background sprites which come with RO4 in !Boot.Resources.Configure.Textures.

It seems to be a general memory problem: the screen goes the colour of the top left pixel whichever spite is chosen. Impression prints out images in a square of colour (I suspect, again, the colour of the top left pixel). And PhotoDesk does not display the sprite in its start-up banner.

I'll gladly send you a sprite, however you have it already.

This happened to me before, then I did an upgrade and it was fixed, then I did another upgrade and it happened again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:

Frayed knot: it's true of any sprite I try, and true of the "standard" background sprites which come with RO4 in !Boot.Resources.Configure.Textures.

It seems to be a general memory problem: the screen goes the colour of the top left pixel whichever spite is chosen. Impression prints out images in a square of colour (I suspect, again, the colour of the top left pixel). And PhotoDesk does not display the sprite in its start-up banner.

I'll gladly send you a sprite, however you have it already.

This happened to me before, then I did an upgrade and it was fixed, then I did another upgrade and it happened again.

Weird, its fine here on all my VRPC-SE installations. Are you running vanilla RISC OS4 or Select? What others apps are running? What
version of the !Pinboard are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:34 pm 

Aaron wrote:
Quote:

Weird, its fine here on all my VRPC-SE installations. Are you running vanilla RISC OS4 or Select? What others apps are running? What
version of the !Pinboard are you using?

It's RO4 - I don't have Select. I don't know what to say about "other apps" since this happens on start-up.

As I say, the PhotoDesk banner sprite doesn't appear, and Impression doesn't print out any bitmap graphics: they come out of the printer the same colour as the top-left pixel (I think - haven't had the opportunity to test this properly). I have to print out documents from other machines in the network, which is OK when I'm here in the office, but kinda renders the laptop a bit useless if I am elsewhere for any reason.

The pinboard version says 0.75.

Although I can live without the pinboard sprite, Impression printing and the PhotoDesk problems I'm having I really do need to get fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
It's RO4 - I don't have Select. I don't know what to say about "other apps" since this happens on start-up.

As I say, the PhotoDesk banner sprite doesn't appear, and Impression doesn't print out any bitmap graphics: they come out of the printer the same colour as the top-left pixel (I think - haven't had the opportunity to test this properly). I have to print out documents from other machines in the network, which is OK when I'm here in the office, but kinda renders the laptop a bit useless if I am elsewhere for any reason.

The pinboard version says 0.75.

Although I can live without the pinboard sprite, Impression printing and the PhotoDesk problems I'm having I really do need to get fixed.

The same as my versions of Pinboard (i.e. the normal RISC OS 4 ones), I can only guess that something (most likely inside !Boot) is knackering display of bitmaps for some reason. My sugestion is to install a new copy of VRPC-SE on the machine in a different directory, and try the pinboard on that, does the "new" version work OK?

If so then find out what is different.