www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum

For support and advice on VirtualAcorn products
Forums now closed. This is an HTML only record of the content.
HTML version of Forum generated Thursday 24th May 2018

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Power Management won't install
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:53 pm 

I've just downloaded the new power management tool, but when I try to install it I'm told it's an invalid product.
Just to be certain I've installed all the previous upgrades in order, except for the networking one since my RiscStation laptop came with that ready installed.
What am I doing wrong?

Post subject: Re: New Power Management won't install
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:51 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
What am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing, email me with your CD serial number and I will try and sort it out.

Post subject: Re:New Power Management
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:15 am 

Downloaded and working ok here.

Post subject: Re: New Power Management won't install
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:17 am 

niftybit wrote:
I've just downloaded the new power management tool, but when I try to install it I'm told it's an invalid product.

I have the same problem here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:03 pm 

... same here too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, I have just uploaded a new version of the power managment upgrade to the downloads sction of the VirtualAcorn website, that should (hopefully) install OK. Can people let me know either way, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:03 pm 

No better here! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:34 pm 

Nope, still complains. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:23 am 

Yes, same trouble here, also I've not been able to install the new internet module "unrecognised dll".
Could this be to do with the HD image upgrade? - The installer is looking for files in HostFS that are in my case in an ADFS Hardfile?
I did briefly try to revert to HostFS use for the 'boot drive', but this made no difference. Having said that I've had plenty of time now to alter !Boot to my liking.
Is it possible that people having trouble now have systems suficiently modified that the installers are getting confused?

If true; zips of the upgrade files + instructions on installing by hand along with the posted installers for people 'without issues' may be one workarround.

Post subject: PS
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:29 am 

Just thought - if the above solution did work it could potentially open the doors to piracy.
Password protected zips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:49 am 

My experience is as follows:

I kept the original hard disc partition safely tucked away before creating the adfs Hardfile. When the u/g failed I eventually tried putting the ADFS hardfile back and the u/g went OK. I then went through the list of installed files which the installer displays just before it finishes and copied these over from the now modified original hard disc (hostfs) to the ADFS hardfile. Everything now works fine.

There is one problem. One of the files (I forget which) installed has 2 versions, both in the same directory, both with the same filename, but with different filetypes (one is BASIC, the other Absolute). This is OK in windows, as the files are treated as being different, but it confuses RiscOS when copying over to the hardfile and of course, only one of the two can be present in the hardfile. This I see as a bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

I have uploaded yet another attempt to see if this one works OK. I have also included the SelectSupport directory which was missing from earlier versions of the power management upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:41 pm 

Just upgraded - no error messages. It will take me a bit longer to find out whether it does anything, but it's looking good so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:38 pm 

The zip file still seems to contain the same exe file dated the 26th. Have you uploaded the new one, cos I can't seen to see it? I've deleted my temporary files (I feel dirty just saying that) but to no avail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
The zip file still seems to contain the same exe file dated the 26th. Have you uploaded the new one, cos I can't seen to see it? I've deleted my temporary files (I feel dirty just saying that) but to no avail.

Damn, you are right the old one was still linked to (I had uploaded
a new one but with a different name and forgot to change the link). I have now uploaded the one from the 1st of March and linked to it correctly. How difficult can I make this...I don't know.... :(

Sorry.